Living Room Before and After

Livingroom AFTER

Have you ever been kind of horrified at what your home decor used to look like? I was scrolling through old posts this morning and was blown away by how dark, dull and depressing my living room used to be!  Blogging has been a great way for me to find my style and pull things together in a much more pleasing way thanks to all my blog friends who inspire me daily.

Here's how my living room was transformed.

 Enjoy my walk down memory lane.





When I first moved into my home I chose to paint the walls immediately as they were all painted in a drabish yellow.  I went with Benjamin Moore Stone House to serve as a nice backdrop to furniture I brought with me but I didn't realize how dark the room actually was until I lived there for a full year...


Here is the room with the unpainted trim and wall of wood bearing down on the space.  The dark browns and beiges are soooo dark!  And there is only one window in the space.




Here is the room as it appears now:


The white paint reflects so much more light, it bounces off every wall.


Lightweight furniture in wicker adds some texture and the bead board wallpaper I added to the back of the bookcases lends to the cottage feel.




Some of the furniture was replaced and some was painted.  The drapes were changed out and the walls painted in Behr Almond Cream to match the drapes.  The doorway to the kitchen was expanded to let more light move between the two spaces and the woodwork was all painted out in a shade of paint slightly darker than the Almond Cream.

Large pieces of colourful artwork, pillows, baskets, crocks and plants help to warm up the space.

Paint is my best friend (and Craig's List too!!).

Have a great week!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin

22 comments:

  1. The before still looked cozy though. Do you still plan on taking down part of that wall to the dining room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my dream but I don't think it is realistic. Hoping to open the doorway up in the same way as I did the one between the kitchen and living room. Thanks Reenie!

      Delete
  2. Love how your living-room looks now. So bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a bright and welcoming living-room now! I also had a very dark living room, with lots of brown and orange when I bought Cottage. I began transfomring it, but I'm nowhere as advanced as you are : you are inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous!!! Love... love your cottage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very bright and cheerful. I shutter to think about how our house looked when we first moved in 16 years ago. Sadly, my bathroom still looks like it's from the 1950s. It's next on our to-do list.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have not only transformed your living room but your entire house so beautifully!!! You put your talents and creativity to work and truly made a house a true home of beauty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing to see the progression. You really have come a long way and have gotten more sophisticated in your choices Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anne. You know that saying "you have come a long way baby"! Well you have. You have done so much to make your sweet home so pretty. Happy Friday. Enjoy the weekend.
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your home is so nice and cozy. You have done a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When we were in the townhouse, I primed the living room walls in white (before I painted them Tepee Brown) and I remember thinking, it's so nice and bright in here!! But Tepee Brown they were painted anyway, lol. Of course I enjoy following your room transformations, Anne. You have incorporated so many classic touches that time cannot change!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charming, Anne. It's been so inspiring to follow you through the years and see what you've accomplished. I just wish I had your mechanical aptitude. There are so many projects that need to be completed here at our cottage and Dennis is so busy with other things that I just keep waiting. If I knew how to build and install things like you do it would make such a difference. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful transformation you did! It is bright and cheerful! And so much more up to date, I know you are loving it! You have great design skills!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Anne, it is so much brighter, warm and inviting. You've done so much around your adorable cottage bungalow and I so admire your DIY skills!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne you have given your home so much love and it shows. LOVE the paintings over your sofa, right up my alley

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW - seriously if I hadn't known you did this I would say this was fake.....the transformation is astounding, Anne.

    You have done so much to that sweet cottage home of yours - all great for re-sell in future should that ever be something you'd want to do - really great job in every space!!! Whoo hoo! Hugs! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. This made me smile as we had dark brown sofas for over 10 years in the autumn we replaced them with blue and it looks so different. I too was looking through so old pictures last week and couldn't believe the transformation. I love you transformed lounge our coffee table looks very similar to yours! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you're right...paint is your best friend! It's amazing how much you've transformed your space by changing out colors here and there. Although I love colored walls (probably rebelling from living with white walls my entire life), I love the look of shades of white in living room spaces, such as yours. I'm thinking of doing the same. Love your space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG, when I think about how I used to decorate, I cringe! Although at the time, I thought I was doing a pretty good job :-) Your light & bright bedroom is a big improvement over your "before" living room! The way you've hung artwork around your TV is really clever, and love how all your pretty things stand out against the light walls.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it looked warm and cosy before, but WOW, it looks gorgeous now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!