Wardrobe Makeovers, Flubs and Being Sidetracked

Well I was all set to share this project several weeks ago except that I wound up not liking the makeover I gave my wardrobe (what else is new??!). But I'm getting ahead of myself...

My home office has been in need of an overhaul ever since I settled on cottage style decor for this house.  For some time it's been that room where I dump all the things I can't use in other rooms because I'm not ready to part with any of it - do you have one of those??  But this year I've been really good at getting rid of stuff that I no longer use or need.  That being said, Izzy decided to sample the arm on my living room armchair and since I can't fix what she did, that chair is now in the office as well.



I have so much paint on hand from other projects that I can repaint the furniture, so I began with my wardrobe that I'm still not happy with.

It went from this


to this look last year:


to this


But I don't like this much either.   It's OK but it's not quite right.  My home office makeover began with my selection of these products and I was really excited at the vision I had in my head of how it would look.


The flowered fabric is the drapes I bought for $14 at Ikea.  The wallpaper is a freebie from Graham and Brown and I hope they forgive me for procrastinating on this project for so long! The striped fabric I already had and the blue paint chip is what I thought would be a great choice for repainting the furniture.  But I was wrong.  I created this monstrosity that I wasn't going to show you but oh well...


This is how it looked after I painted it blue, hated it and began sanding the paint back off again to start fresh.  Then I painted one panel in a light aqua and the door frames in the blue that I eventually painted the whole thing with.  But I don't like any of the choices I've made and that wall colour needs to change before I'm happy!

I'm not sure if/how I'm going to use the wallpaper or the striped fabric and I'm still not sure what to do with this lousy wardrobe.  But I thought I'd share what I was up to before you thought I'd given up blogging for good!

Anyhow, the wardrobe now has beadboard wallpaper in the door panels (which also is courtesy of Graham and Brown) and the wood has been painted turquoise.  I'm thinking of changing the colours but really unsure of which way to go.  This poor piece has so many layers of paint on it already it's not funny!

Hopefully I'll be back shortly with the fully made over wardrobe in a style that I like.  Feel free to make suggestions!

Here's the wardobe again as it is right now.


Hmmm maybe cream for the wallpaper panels and sandy beige for the wood? or the other way around?  Why are these decisions always so hard to make?!!!

Update!

Here is the fresh new look and I LOVE it!!!



Thanks for all your suggestions, have a great weekend!




With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!


Follow on Bloglovin

24 comments:

  1. First, I am so sorry about your contract negotiations. That can't make for a pleasant work environment. I hope things are settled soon.

    I know the feeling of a paint job that you just don't like. I painted a bench a soft yellow the other day and it is awful. Unlike you, I don't have a lot of paint on hand so I have to decide on a color and get going.

    I like the cabinet and the beadboard look, but the white is very stark compared to the rest of your pieces so maybe just painting that a different color will work for you.

    And no, I don't have a room where extra pieces can go - that would be a luxury for me.

    Make it a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you don't like your latest makeover. I think it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anne,
    It is amazing how we can get stuck on one piece like your cabinet every once in awhile. I know you will get it the way you want. Sometimes it just takes a few tries. Been there and done that!!!! Have a great new week ahead.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, can I relate?! I began painting our entryway a "cheery yellow" - after I began it looked like a school bus was parked in the doorway! YUK! Back to the drawing board. It's now what has been dubbed as the "official ugliest color in the world" a deep coppery brown BUT I LOVE IT!!! Lighting has SO MUCH to do with paint colors. It's really amazing how we can "see" something in our mind's eye and the reality is a collision on a colossal level. After removing trees in our front yard the entryway gets a ton of light. It used to be a very light pale blue - which was blinding with all the light. It needed to be toned down. I love everything you do and even the stages until you get your rooms and pieces to "your perfect!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually like the beadboard look, but it's you who must be happy with your office. Mayeb you should begin by choosing the wall colour and the curtains to find out what would look best with the wardrobe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry. I hate when something doesn't turn out like we plan. Kudos for stripping the piece back down. That was a lot of work. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks really cute, both the before and the after. Having said that, wait until you paint your walls to see if you like it better. The linen collection you've chosen is adorable and it might just be that you were picturing the wardrobe in that room with the new paint color and all those pretty linens and curtains ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been there with picking the right colors for furniture painting. Sometimes it's hard to get what you have in your brain to execute. You'll figure it out. I like the blue. Good luck, you'll get it perfect.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe putting a little stain over all of it ~ then sand it off a bit??

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wardrobe turned out really beautiful ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the others who say to paint your walls before you change the wardrobe again. I think you might be seeing the wall colour beside the wardrobe and maybe they don't go together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always need somewhere to dump stuff even if it is the garage! I'm sorry you aren't happy with your wardrobe, the idea seemed so good too. I'm sure that you will soon create something that will be perfect! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have my garage as my dumping ground and have overflowed into my friends garage. That's bad so I don't worrry about my garage looking bad. But I can understand that you want to make your office look pretty. You have a good start with the fabrics and the wardrobe. I agree with the others who recommend painting the walls and it will all fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the walls are a big factor. I want a light, bright space so I'll bet I wind up lightening that shade of paint. Thanks Debra!

      Delete
  14. I love whatever you do and I know that you will have that epiphany and then proceed to create the piece that you will love!...I do love the way you have placed the breadboard wallpaper in the panels of the piece...Looking forward to your new creation!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually I like the deeper blue. I would have "antiqued" it after completing the paint job. The lines of the wardrobe look a bit contemporary, so possibly curved or scalloped molding could be added to the top and/or bottom to give a more "cottagey' look? Just my ideas. I know that when you get to the final makeover it will be perfect. You always deliver. Looking forward to seeing how you resolve this. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! It's the contemporary look of it that doesn't sit right with me. Hmmmm, now to figure out how to fix that! Thanks Beverley!

      Delete
  16. not to muddied up you thoughts but have you given thought to decoupaging the stripped fabric to the panels and painting the out side in the cream color of it? i am sure you will come up with something awesome you always do xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne, I understand your pain...I have had a great idea and then it was like I don't like this at all. I know you will come up with the perfect plan for you, and it will be great! Pam @ Everyday Living

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Sometimes the most pain comes from trying to come up with a solution!

      xo

      Delete
  18. Anne, I feel your pain! I really liked the wide panel boards that used to be in the wardrobe and think the blue paint color would have looked so pretty distressed to reveal the cream underneath and perhaps with some dark wax or glaze. But that doesn't help you now that you have the bead board wallpaper. I like your idea of painting the doors cream, especially paired with the pretty blue color. I would still think about dark wax or glaze, especially in the grooves of the wallpaper. That's my two cents for whatever it's worth. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that sucks that the plan isn't coming together like you want... it will though... I have faith!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!