Rustic Christmas Sign

When a fence board fell off my very ancient fence this past summer, I was thrilled!  The board was extremely weather-beaten, very rustic AND the neighbour's side of it was all chippy and red!

I knew right then it was going to be my Christmas DIY project this year.







I found these cute wood letters at Walmart and painted them with acrylic paint in Raw Umber.  I wanted them to look old so I decided to try a crackled paint treatment using Elmer's Glue.  I wasn't terribly successful last time I tried this paint treatment so I Googled a few different ways of applying it and the one I used worked perfectly.



How you do it is to paint a thick coat of Elmer's glue over the surface and before it has a chance to dry, paint the paint colour of your choice over the top without brushing over it more than once or twice.  Let it dry (or use a hairdryer to speed it up) and it winds up looking like this!



For a little added emphasis, I used a black Sharpie over the edges of the letters.  Then I glued them to the fence board (cut down to an appropriate size) and added some old Christmas costume jewelry to dress it up a little.



I think it's the perfect addition to my Christmas decor!  If you want to see some of the other Christmas things I've created, click on the photos below.


Cheers!

       





26 comments:

  1. This is awesome and so creative! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so beauty <3
    ps. kisses from Poland :*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea and the the paint effect on those letters is so effective. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg that is soooo cute....Only us junkers can appreciate getting excited over a fence board falling off...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great project. Love how you used the Sharpie to detail the edge of the letters. The little snowmen are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, wow - isn't that the most perfect board for this nifty DYI? Love it, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling! And what a nice early Christmas gift from your neighbors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sign and thanks for the Elmer's glue tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! Lucky for you when that fence fell apart and even luckier that the neighbors liked red!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute Anne ... the weathered red fence board is just perfect.I like the white glue method of getting a crackle look and have used it many times in the past. I just bought some old red shutters and this gives me an idea of how to use them for Christmas. Not a pretty red like your board, but my be red enough.
    Thanks,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the sign! These would sell in a cute shop that you own (one day)!! lol

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lovely and yes, it does belong to a cute little vintage shop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are always thinking ahead!! Love that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I love old fence boards! I now have a whole backyard that needs the fencing replaced so I'll have lots to play with next summer!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute Anne I'm going to try it. Off to check out my old boards now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I want to see what you come up with!!! Send me an email! Have fun xox

      Delete
  16. I love this! I have a bunch of these chunky letters too and hoped to spell "Merry Christmas", but I still need to buy a vowel or something (why does this remind me of a game show?). I like the fact that you jump right into these projects Anne ;) Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so want to try that Elmer's Glue technique, it looks great and how cool that you had a piece of chippy wood ready to make your own Christmas sign!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like your Joy even if it's a bit cracked.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it Anne!!!...thanks goodness for things becoming worn out so you can work your magic on it!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great Christmas DIY. What a great way to use an old piece of fencing and how perfect that the fence was red already. I love the sign Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it, Anne! It looks vintage! xoxo I have a bunch of scraps of wood in my yard that I was planning to do something with. I hope I get to it. I am not organized these days. I've projects everywhere. By accident my spouse threw something out that I was going to use, but I never told him that I planned to use it. Because things just seem to pile up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How serendipitous to find that board, Anne. And you used it for the perfect project. I love this! xxx ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love this! Such a great idea, done perfectly, as usual!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!