Make a Plain Cabinet into a Pie Safe!


I adore pie safes. The look, the romance of bygone times, the smell of freshly baked pie in my mom's kitchen... mmmmmm delightful!

I've wanted a pie safe forever, but they don't ever seem to turn up for sale around here.  Sigh.  What to do.  A few weeks ago, I got an email from  D. Lawless Hardware offering me whatever I wanted from their stock to build something cool with.  When I saw the pie safe tin on their site I was so excited!!!  I picked out the old fashioned wheat sheaf pattern and got 4 of them.

I knew I wanted to create a pie safe, but I didn't know which cabinet to pick.  Then my eye settled on the unfinished pantry cabinet in my kitchen.  I've been searching for a way to dress up the plain jane door I built for it.  It just didn't do much for the cabinet and it certainly wasn't as charming as the shutter doors that I used on the top half.



I took the door off the cabinet and laid it on the floor.  Then I played with the tin panels until I found the right spacing.  I wanted the panels set as evenly as possible so that I could use the same sized trim all around them.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out quite that way.  Instead I decided to use wider trim for the horizontal pieces and I'm pleased to say it worked out well!


With the pieces laid out and my measurements taken, off I went to the local building supply to buy the trim I needed.  Have I mentioned enough that I live in the middle of nowhere??  No surprise then that they didn't have the trim I wanted.  BUT for a cost of $1, they planed down a piece of 1x4 pine to the exact depth and width that I needed for the cabinet.  How cool is that??  The trim pieces are 1 1/2 " wide and 3" wide, with 5/8" depth.

When I got home, I measured carefully and began cutting the wood down to size.  I nailed the two side pieces right away and then dry fit everything else.  The pie tin panels were also nailed in place before I began the dry fitting.

 

Okey dokey then, that looks pretty good!  I nailed everything together with my brad nailer, filled the holes and seams with  spackle and when that dried, I sanded it.  Then I hung the door back on the cabinet and painted it my fave aqua with a dry brushing over the top in a darker aqua.  Then I wiped over the top with a damp paper towel to remove some of the paint and smoosh the darker colour around.  I wanted to match the paint job on the shutter doors as much as possible.

Here is my beautiful cabinet!





Isn't it gorgeous??? I am in love.
Here's what it used to look like (sorry, not a good photo but this was just a temporary solution so I never photographed it for the blog).



Don't you love it??  If you want some of these panels for yourself here's the link:
Pie Safe Tins


For those of you who would prefer to buy rather than build, check out Cabinfield Fine Furniture for stunning hand-crafted Amish  pie safes .



Have a happy & creative week!

Disclaimer:  I have partnered with D Lawless Hardware to demonstrate some of their products.  Although I received free merchandise in exchange my review, the opinions stated are entirely my own.


65 comments:

  1. Anne strikes gold...er, I mean tin. You did an amazing job, I'm in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job! Here's to dreams finally coming true. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, that turned out awesome Anne....what a super cute idea!!! LUV

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, Anne! I love aqua with silver! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow....nice job.....looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job Anne, love the punched tin wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the new door! It looks absolutely amazing, as the whole cabinet does. The new door looks really one of a kind, perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this just finishes off the cabinet perfectly! In the "before" picture the door didn't match with the rest of the cabinet, but after you put on the punched tin, it looks like it has always been that way! Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! That door has bugged me ever since I installed it!!! Thanks for visiting Vickie!

      Delete
  9. Oh Anne, I love this it's fabulous. You always come up with wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a difference!! The doors match the cabinet so nicely now. Sometimes it's good to wait just a bit for the really good ideas to come to light ;) How nice for the hardware store to make this offer. The tin looks golden in the finished pics, is that just reflection for the floor? This really does look great! Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tin! It's a wonderful addition to your cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm truly in LOVE with this!! Your cabinet is gorgeous!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Visiting from That DIY Party. This is the cleverest thing! I am definitely filing away this idea, and I am going to look at your link to the tin inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great Anne ... You always seem to figure out how to make things better.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another great transformation! I love those wheat sheaf's! I have never come across the term "Pie safe" before. Was it only used to store the pies? Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pie safe was used to keep mice, flies, etc. away from food in the "olden days". The pieces were absolutely gorgeous and I have wanted one forever!

      Delete
  16. I love your pie safe! Great idea to jazz up a plain door. It looks beautiful in your space ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG Anne, I love it. You are so creative. Now..only problem with a pie safe is.... are there pies in there? That would be dangerous for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in a tin tizzy over this wonderful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You ought to be crowned with the creativity crown. This is awesome and so, so utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cute Anne - awesome transformation, you added so much character:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is awesome! What a difference it made in the entire piece. WTG Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful and fits your decor perfectly. I really like how you kept the aqua color on the subtle side. What a transformation from before to after!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne , I am in Love with this! And I am always amazed, by all your talents. But this transformation, blew me away! If there was a DIY Oscar, you would win hands down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - that has to be one of the all-time best comments I've ever gotten. Thank you so much Kathy Elizabeth!

      Delete
  24. Sooooooooo very pretty! You have been so ambitious. You should be proud of yourself... :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are amazing and so creative! It looks great!! I believe there's is nothing that you won't tackle. Enjoy your day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. Masterfully done. You should be so proud of that makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Reading about your projects is dangerous. Now you have me wanting to order some tin panels and put them onto something. I don't have time for that. (Love what you did with yours ... you rock!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anne, that is really wonderful! And...yay for them contacting you and giving you free stuff! You knew just what to do with it, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Girl… that is beautiful! I adore it…
    We had a pie safe a long time ago and sold it… I still regret that decision!
    Enjoy yours and keep inspiring us with your beautiful projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks great, Anne. Your projects are always so charming and I love how much character you've added to your home- so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! Looks so great! I never would have thought of this project. Turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well aren't you cleaver.....love this Anne! You did a beautiful job and it looks so pretty in your kitchen!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful job you did on the pie safe cabinet..it is beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Anne! That looks great!!! I love pie safes too, sigh. I'll have to check out the link for D. Lawless Hardware too - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love tin tiles and have them in my kitchen as a backsplash. I really like what you did with your tiles and think the project came out wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow this is amazing. What a cool idea come to life :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG Anne - that is just gorgeous !!!
    I didn't even know you could buy these " plates " - just perfect !!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  38. So cute!
    I love the way you finished it out.
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anne,
    The pie area is a great idea. I love the smell of pies cooling down in the kitchen. You have so many great ideas for your house. I love seeing the different rooms and getting ideas.

    Thank you for the birthday wishes today. It so nice to have friends like you to share my special day with.

    love,
    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a huge improvement Anne! I love the new look - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow! Looks fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my goodness, I LOVE it! You did such incredible job!

    ReplyDelete
  43. You inspire me, Anne. (Have I already told you this?) Love the new look. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love it and pinned :) Thanks for sharing at Inspiration Monday!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ok now you've amazed me even more, measuring for things like your door is not my strong suit, you're smarter than the dickens too. I have to lay things out as I measure, see how it works. It looks so awesome Anne, love it to pieces. Love the shutters on top and the pie safe look on bottom. I'm going to pin this cause someday I know we'll need this idea for something. Love your blog so much, great projects. Pinning Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  46. Cool idea...it looks so much better - the tin adds that country style and gives it a sense of age! Thanks for inspiring (btw...I grew up in Kelowna! LOVE BC!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy!! I love meeting BC girls!!

      Thanks for your sweet comment xoxo

      Delete
  47. It looks straight out of an antique store, Anne!! What a beautiful transformation, and pretty addition to your kitchen! Thanks for sharing at Best of the Nest!

    ReplyDelete
  48. You did a lovely job on this piece! I think it looks perfect now! The color you chose gives it just the right amount of character :0) I'm so happy to have come across a fellow Canadian blogger! I live in Alberta. My husband fought forest fires with water bombing airplanes there all summer this year. We love B.C.! I would like to invite you to share your work each week at my Making Broken Beautiful party. It runs from Thursday thru Sunday each week ... you still have time to join in this week if you wish :0) Link as many times as you like!
    I hope you have a great weekend!
    Smiles!
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Terry! I can't find a way to contact you through your blog so I hope you see this reply! I tried to link up but the linky tool doesn't work. Sorry!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If your comment has no email address, I'll leave a reply on this post under your comment. Have a fabulous day!