Upcycling a Plastic Framed Door Mirror


I did it!  I built a nice wood frame from 1x4 lumber for my yard sale find door mirror.  Total Cost: $8.00 -  $1 for the mirror, $3 for the wood and $4 for mirror clips to attach the mirror to the frame.  What a bargain!!





I picked up this cheapo door mirror at a yard sale a couple of summers ago.  

Pretty basic!

So I after seeing Shanty to Chic build a simple frame for a similar mirror, I figured I could do that too. I ripped the paper backing off, scored the glue with a blade and pulled the frame off.  It was super easy to get down to the mirror.  These mirrors are really cheap, they are super flexible when you get the frame off them so be careful if you decide to do this project!  I could see this kind of mirror breaking very easily if not stored properly until the new frame is prepared.


I measured the mirror and made sure to cut my wood so that the sides would overlap the mirror.  I cut the long ends first, then took the two long pieces and clamped them together before cutting the ends at 45 degree angles (this way they're the identical length).  Then I dry fit the long pieces to the mirror and made sure the shorter pieces were going to fit properly.  Mine were a smidgen too long, so I recut the two short boards and dry fit them again before cutting the 45 degree angles on them.

When I had everything fitting together perfectly, I glued the pieces together and used big rubber bands as clamps to hold the wood in place.  I added a couple of staples to make sure everything stayed tight.

I wanted a wood stain look, but I had no stain on hand so I used paint to get this look.   I used a bone white paint for the first coat - no primer - with a foam mini roller because I wanted to see wood grain.  When it dried to the touch, I used a damp paper towel dipped in Raw Umber acrylic paint (artist's paint tubes) and wiped that over the entire painted surface until I was happy with the colour of the frame.  Then I used Minwax Paste Wax in the dark wax colour and waxed the whole surface.  Lastly I attached the mirror to the frame using mirror clips.


The mirror clips I bought were heavy duty ones and a little too deep for the mirror, so I added two lengths of 2x1/2 inch plywood to each of the long sides, but if you buy the right clips, you won't have to do that!  You could glue the mirror to the frame and skip the clips, but I wasn't sure which glue would hold best so I opted for the clips rather than choose the wrong glue and have it all fall apart later...





Now it can reflect a little more light into my kitchen and I love the look of it!  

Happy creating!

Don't miss another post!  Follow me:
Linking to:
Sundae Scoop
Overflowing with Creativity
Funky Junk SNS
Monday Funday
Creative Bloggers Hop
Mod Mix Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Project Inspired Link Party
Tuesdays Treasures
Wow us Wednesdays
the Creative Spark.
Winter Blues
Power of Paint
Wildly Original Link Party
It's a Crafty World
Transformation Thursday
Under $100 Party
Catch as Catch Can
Furniture Feature Friday
Show & Tell Friday
The Inspiration Gallery
Liz Marie
Fabulously Creative Friday
Junkin Joe
Cowgirl Up

49 comments:

  1. What a cool transformation!Super easy too and I LOVE the thrifty price!Looks beautiful set into your vignette too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice - you did a great job.

    hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. NICE! I have one of these in my garage that I just don't know what to do with. Love your idea. :)

    www.MySerendipitousLife.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Good for you. I've never tackled a woodworking project. I am in awe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the weathered look wood frame on the mirror and the vignette is so perfect. You did a great job of dressing up that inexpensive mirror. I have two that I need to do this to ... sooo, I will just have to copy you. I think I have some old wood we saved when we repaired our rental. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Blessings, my friend.
    Audrey Z.
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful, Anne. I love the paints and wax you used to achieve that nice aged look to the wood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. Love how you put it on its side too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very smart and I'm sure it opens up the kitchen a bit with more light. Great job!Love it!
    Lisa Rose
    ourenchantedcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job Ann!! It's so rewarding when you accomplish something like this...a big impact for little money!! I love it!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE the stain color . How clever to put it on it's side too....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the price of it Ann! The frame is so neat and I sure have to get some dark wax minwax soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All I can say is your talented Anne. Well done..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a couple of these mirrors that already don't have the plastic frame - so I'm already halfway completed for this project! Great idea Anne - love how it turned out :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Anne...the mirror is fantastic!!!...You did a beautiful job as always...looks great on the shelf with all those "lovelies"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to upcycle that ugly mirror1 Looks so super cute up there on the shelf1 You are amazing....

    hugs x
    Crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great transformation. Love the wood frame and the finish you did on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks awesoem Anne! I have often thought about those mirrors, they are so cheap! Thanks for the inspiration! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job. I'm looking to do something like that for my powder room mirror. Good to know it can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing transformation and I LOVE how you have this displayed!

    Thanks for linking up to this week's Project Inspire{d} ~ big smooshy hugs!

    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love doing upcycling any furniture pieces, especially the mirror that brings our room together. Great job Anne and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hope you have a great day too!

      Delete
  21. Ann, that looks fabulous! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anne - I have a mirror set aside to do just this with it! I really loved how yours turned out. Now I need to get myself in gear! Love, love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks awesome Anne! I have one of those mirrors lying around too! I totally want to do this! Thanks for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible - shared on my Facebook page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks fantastic! You did a wonderful job and a great job explaining how to do it too...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anne, this is so awesome. I thought I was clever just painting the brass frame around a cheap floor length mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so good with your tools, the new wooden frame is so beautiful, sturdy and brings in the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great idea! I want one!
    thanks for sharing,
    Deb@LakeGirlPaints

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea! I really love the look of this. You have inspired me to make something like this for my home. Thanks for sharing!
    Shannon
    http://www.cozycountryliving.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the nice, solid wood. You did a great job here.

    I just told Danni at Silo Hill Farm that I liked your painting and she told me to get my behind over here to tell you, lol, and so I did. :) I like the blog, and your painting on Danni's post today really is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Well done Anne.! I don't know how you always seem to do it!! You are always finding and making such great things! I really envy and look up to you!! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this! And I know my readers will too! I'd love for you to stop by and link up at my very first link party (ya, ya...I know...I'm a little behind the times).

    Jessica
    http://myworldmadebyhand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Anne! I just popped over from Danni's at Silo Hill Farm. This is a great project!! I love the rustic finish of the wood. The painting and the greenhouse shown on Danni's blog are fabulous!! I'm a new follower from Ontario. Looking forward to future posts.
    Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful project Anne! You have me thinking...Where could that go in my house...

    ReplyDelete
  34. How clever! Thanks for sharing! ~Tammy~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anne! That's fantastic! It looks great and I love the frame you made for it. No one would ever know it only cost you $9. Well done!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very thrifty! I love how the wood looks like old barn wood.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anne-this is a great looking mirror, but I LOVE it up on the shelf! yeah, I do! I have been wanting to do this forever with some reclaimed wood, but I'm running low on it, and I can make a LOT of wedding signs for money as opposed to wasting it on a mirror for myself... lol

    love it!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  38. The mirror doesn't even look the same! Please share your project at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anne, I've made about a jillion of these and I always just hammer down my mirror clips to reduce the angle. Don't you just love a cheap mirror?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Awesome--what a transformation! I found you at the Inspire Me Please link party--thanks for sharing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's amazing how awesome that little mirror looks with a big, chunky frame. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  42. L.O.V.E. it!! Found you through Sawdust Girl - Sawdust Throwdown

    Cher @ Designs by Studio C
    http://designsbystudioc.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Playing catchup. I'm really getting the Anne inspiration when I read 10 posts at once!
    Vliss

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...