2012 In Review - Part 2 The Projects

The year began with a bang on a super simple project that went viral - the mason jar soap pump.  This is my second most popular post of all time (although the turquoise chalk paint armoire beats the competition by a mile!)


Then there was the shed I built for $30 from scrounged scraps of wood, some hinges and handles:


I tried my hand at making a sign:



I painted my tree stump and added a fleur-de-lis design.  I made a table out of it using a piece of glass as a tabletop.

 I tackled my mudroom and laundry, adding much needed storage to this house!  Nothing you see in this photo was here when I moved in.  I installed a closet organizer (the shelves with the clothes rods at the side). I also bought a cabinet and installed a laundry tub and built shelves over the top and a little counter at the side.  Then, with the help of friends, I installed a new dryer vent and stacked my new washer and dryer.  



I finished off my front entry by installing beadboard on one wall to cover up missing drywall and built a cover for my electrical panel.

Then I converted my coffee table to a bar height table by swapping out the legs for longer 2x2 legs that I cut to the height I wanted.



I found a 5 panel door at a garage sale and added legs and some trim to create a king-sized headboard:

 

I made over my Ikea chair using a shower curtain for the slipcover.

To add storage to my kitchen, I bought some Ikea brackets and used some wood I had on hand to build shelves on one wall.


and added a pot rack that I hung vertically:



I took a 6 cube storage piece that I didn't really like, added legs and a table top and made a cool console out of it.

 Upcycle an Ugly Cube Storage Unit

I made over my tallboy to look like an apothecary cabinet:



I attempted mitered corners for the first time when I built a hook rack from scratch.


I built my own shutters from a 10' 1x8 piece of pre-primed pine.


My greatest triumph of all this year, came with my Impossibilities Challenge of renovating a bathroom completely on my own.  I don't have photos of the original bathroom - can you say U-G-L-Y???
It had vertical tongue and groove dark orange stained knotty pine boards on every wall and an even uglier imitation drop-ceiling treatment (yep, weird.  Not a drop-ceiling, some fibreboard thingy designed to look like one).  The bathtub had a storage cupboard built over the top of it (nothing like mouldy storage units).  The vanity had a medicine chest complete with Hollywood light strip that wasn't hardwired to a switch.  SHUDDER! Do you understand why I never photographed it?

This is what it looked like after the demo was done and I had installed new insulation.

and this is what it looks like now.


The plumbing hasn't been done yet and I still need to install the door frame and door, the crown moulding and baseboards.  What a job!  I hope to have the whole thing done and functioning by Spring 2013.  I am exceptionally proud of myself!

Thank you for following along with me on my journey to renovate and decorate my house.  The blogging community has been so inspirational to me, giving me tons of ideas and direction.  I really appreciate all of you for your support, your uplifting comments and your unflagging belief that I could do this work myself.

You are all ROCK STARS!  

Here's to a happy and successful 2013 - onward and upward!

If you missed Part 1 - The Power of Paint, click HERE



Don't Miss Another Post!

30 comments:

  1. Well Anne it seems that it has been a very busy and productive year for you! The soap dispenser just rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun I thought I had seen everything you've done this year but there were a few I missed. Here's to an amazing 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too missed some of these projects! Holy Moly woman, you were busy and productive! You have every right to be so proud of yourself. YOU rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have had a busy year for sure. So many great projects! All the best for the holidays and the new year Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great projects you have done this year. Hoping you have a very happy and blessed Christmas my friend. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Great year you have had! I am impressed!
    Hugs and Merry Christmas tomorrow ...
    Bj

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry, Merry Christmas, dear Anne! You've been really busy... and the fleur-de-lys table is still my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to see what's been accomplished in a year - you've been busy! Especially love your tree stump table and of course that bathroom! here's to a great 2013!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soap pump is awesome! I love it. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sure kept yourself busy Anne!! All your projects turned out fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were a busy lady for 2012. You did some wonderful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had some great projects. I really like the idea of the mason jar soap holder.
    All the best of the New Year.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of your projects. I have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this with everyone. It runs from Wednesday through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/12/5-fun-posts-and-wednesdays-adorned-from.html
    Debi @ Adorned From Above
    Marci @ Stone Mountain Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are an inspiration and fearless. Your home is coming along just wonderful and so artistic. Can't wait to see next years projects.

    Lisa Rose @ Our Enchanted Cottage




    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. You have attempted and completed the most amazing projects. I know I could never do this sort of reno on my own. You should be so proud of yourself! Not sure what my fav thing is but I'm leaning toward the shutters. :o) Happy New Year Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you sure accomplished a lot of beautiful projects,great bathroom reno, thats on my 2013 to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anne--that bathroom--OMG!! You are amazing for having done all that--way beyond my skill set! I love all the projects you shared this year, and I really want to make the mason jars with the pump top for my bathroom--such beautiful bottles that you used for them. We have grown a lot this year! Take care, and a very Happy New Year to you--I'll be following along with you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow Anne.....what a year! You have done so much! I've been alongside you most of the way but hadn't realised just a now much you have accomplished! Well done. I ask myself..." What is this superwoman going o do with herself next year?!" Joan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!! You've been incredibly busy and productive with so many beautiful projects, Anne! Tremendous !!
    I'm gonna have another peek at tht soap dispenser ;)

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd this year. Love having you there.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm new to your blog, but I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed by your talents and how much you've accomplished in just one year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many beautiful projects...you are the rock star!
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow...you're putting me to shame!!! Well...actually you're inspiring me! Just amazing all you have done!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are great ideas! I would love for you to share them at my SHOW-licious Craft Showcase party! I will be doing a year in review post and would love to include yours!

    http://sew-licious.blogspot.com/2012/12/show-licious-craft-showcase-14.html

    Happy Holidays,
    Marti

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - you were a busy girl! I especially like the way you did over the tallboy! You have seriously impressed me with the woodworking! I don't know if I am that brave! Wishing you all the best in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome projects~ I love those shutters in the bathroom!! Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a great collectison of projects! I have been looking for a vinatage door forever and cant find one like the one you used for your headboard! The search continues. Thank you for being your ever inspiring self and for being such a blessing to me this year!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've been featured at Cowgirl Up!! Woo hoo, grab a featured button if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are fearless if you can tackle that bathroom project all by yourself. We have remodeled many bathrooms, and it is very hard work, yours looks great! Found you over at Cowgirl Up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anne, you are one dynamo and should be applauded for all your projects, all you did is so incredible. I sure am inspired by you. Did you get any sleep all year? My stars you are a brave gal. What a wonderful thing to be able to look at your home to see what all you've done. I'm so proud of you. Everything you did came out so great, how do you do it? I was getting tired just seeing all you did. What's in store for 2013? I'm afraid to ask. Will look forward to seeing your 2013 projects. Congrats on great, fantastic projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I don't recall sleeping much in 2012, I'm doing much better in 2013!! lol I am definitely ready for a period of projects that only take a few hours to complete altho that doesn't look likely... stay tuned, many more things to come!

      xox

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...