DIY Shutters for the Bathroom


My "Impossibilities Challenge" continues!  I've been renovating this bathroom of mine for the last 2 years... TWO YEARS!  Sigh.  The finish line is in view, I'm so very happy to say.

This bathroom had no window and I hate rooms with no windows.  I really, really wanted a window but this room is all my own work and I'm not a carpenter, so I was a little intimidated at the thought of installing a window myself.  Lucky for me, when I ripped down the wall covering I discovered that someone had taken out a window somewhere along the way so all I had to do was cut through the wall and install a new window.  Easy peasy - well, sort of...

Here is what I began with:

And I installed the window and trim with only a few minor bumps along the way.  
Here is the finished and trimmed out window:

I installed a deep ledge so I could put plants on it and I was planning to install roman blinds but decided instead that I wanted shutters.  I couldn't find any inexpensive shutters and none turned up at yard sales so I opted to build my own out of one 10' 1x8" board.

The window is 28" wide and the 8" boards are 7 1/4" wide (I ask myself why???).  I had to rip the boards down by 1/4 inch each to make them fit properly in the opening.  They're just a smidgen uneven, but it worked!!





So you measure the height and width of your window and allow 1/8th of an inch on all sides so that the shutters can move freely and you have space for your hinges.  I used T-hinges to attach the shutters to the window frame and butt hinges to attach the panels together.  Easy peasy & worked like a charm!!!

 I wanted the shutters to open and frame the window without blocking any of the light from the window.  Don't ask me how I lucked out on choosing my hinges, I managed to pick out just the right ones.  The whole thing came together perfectly.  Love it when that happens.  Total bill for my new shutters $40 (including taxes, hinges and knobs).  By the way, you can get away with spending way less than what I spent, I splurged on pre-primed pine boards.  MDF is not a good choice for bathrooms, but un-primed boards can be bought for much cheaper!

YAHOO!!!

Yet another step in the bathroom reno is complete.  Onto the next!

To see all the posts in the Impossibilities Challenge series, click HERE

To see the final reveal, click HERE




Cheers!

With a small budget, big dreams and a love of a challenge, Anne blogs about renovating and decorating her tiny 1930s bungalow. A self-taught artist and professed power tool lover, she enjoys writing, gardening, photography, nature and diy'ing. And she's never met a dumpster she didn’t want to root through! Come along for the ride!!
  • Remodeling and Home Design
    Follow on Bloglovin
Linking to these Parties :


42 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with this entire project and with you for tackling it! Love the shutters and the deep window sill. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne I LOVE this idea! So charming and practical too!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE them!! Now you've got me thinking I want some!!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, you are my hero! Fantastic job installing & trimming the window AND building & installing the shutters! Everything looks absolutely amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you done all this on your own Anne? I can't believe it!!!
    Beautiful beautiful job!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job with the shutters, as always! I love the deep ledge, it's perfect for the flower pots:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your impossibilities challenge is looking good - look at all of the amazing progress you've made.

    Those shutters are such a perfect touch.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them! You did an awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done!!!!!!! And whoever would close a window up? I agree with you totally, I hate rooms without windows and bathrooms need a window so they can be aired out for one thing. The house we're in currently has the bathroom in the middle of the house so no window....and it's in front of the front door.....ew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go girl! I feel like I may have said that to you many times before but seriously, you just go for it don't you! Love the shutter idea! The window looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, I love shutters they add such charm. I had them in my old home.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so very clever to make your own! Love that you tore down the wall and "found" a window! What luck ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooooo impressed! DIY shuters! And from the inside!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really impressed! They look wonderful Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your shutters look great Anne! I admire the determination in all your creative undertakings! We have the same situation in our home-someone removed and then covered in the window that was in our bathroom. Now, it is a windowless room. Unfortunately, we would now have to cut a new opening and re-install a window.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now THAT is a big step ... you're coming right along ... might want to consider breaking for the holidays. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. woohoo Anne! LOVE your new shutters. You're a brave woman my friend, to tackle that bathroom and the window!! you rock!

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  18. Renovations are hard work!!! Love yours and the shutters are awesome:) I posted http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/11/reversible-holiday-note-board.html Hope you can stop by:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. AWESOME ANNE! I'm gonna be hitting you up for some of my near future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is over the top AWESOME!!!! I mean it -- I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! Fabulous job...delicious color...just picture perfect!!! sending hugs my friend and wishes for all things wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anne, this is so amazing!!! You have a beautiful bathroom and it's made by you - must be an awesome feeling, right?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Commenting again - let's see if it works this time! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anne, You are a genius! I could not do that in a million years!!! And it looks FABULOUS.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anne...I am doing the "Happy Dance" for you!!...the window and shutters are just amazing....Fantastic job Anne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so impressed! (I haven't dropped by in awhile and was wondering what you were up to at your home!)
    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice! I love that they fold up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are Amazing! That window looks great!! Thank you so much for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great idea...love the shutters. It works with this style decor..for sure. Looks pretty and EASY TOO.
    PAT

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks great!! You did a superb job on the window, I've had pros do window upgrades and they look no better than yours. I have no window in the bathroom off the bedroom (drives me nuts) but it's high so it hasn't been a privacy issue. You give me ideas if I can't find the size I'd need at ReStore. Ours usually has a ton of shutters.
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous! These pictures show tranquility...love them so much! And those shutters...WOW! I'm totally impressed! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your shutters are lovely. You did a very good job on them.

    Yael from Home Garden Diggers

    ReplyDelete
  32. I too am impressed with your skills and the True Grit it took to even take on such a task. It looks FABULOUS , plus I so needed to see this.
    I have a window in a corner- very weird location and this would be the absolute best solution to my dilema - especially in the colder months.
    thanks so much for sharing your Genius with us and I will share this with my carpenter, so he can SEE what I am talking about versus just me trying to tell him..
    thanks again.
    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow amazing job! I am way impressed with your DIY skills- your bathroom is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Featuring your lovely shutters on this weeks All Star Block Party! Cause I love them!!

    http://www.nutmegplace.com/2012/12/all-star-block-party-28.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great article, can't believe you made that look easy as pie! Looking forward to more.

    -Bronx Shower Doors
    Mirror Installation Bronx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Adorable! Love the shutters! I am sure they look waaaay better than roman shades ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brilliant!!!! I love this idea! <3

    ReplyDelete
  38. You're so creative! I would like to make custom shutters for my house someday. I like what you did. Where did you learn those brilliant ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...