When I first moved into my new house, I bought a Martha Stewart cube storage unit for my front entry. You know the one I mean? It's not the most attractive piece of furniture by a long shot, but it does the job for a reasonable price.
Now that I have my beadboard feature wall in the front entry, I don't really need that storage unit anymore. It wound up in my den alongside all the other mismatched and unused pieces that I don't really know what to do with. The poor thing sat there, unused and ignored, until I decided this past weekend to give it a makeover.
Here is the before shot:
Basic and kind of ugly with those drawer thingys...
Here's the full-on view Ya, well, it needs work...
I turned it on its side, added 36" 1x2 legs and 1x2 cross-piece centered on the bottom for bracing (not shown). I topped it with a piece of maple plywood as well.
I used primed, fingerjointed pine for the legs and support pieces because I planned to paint the whole thing, but then I decided to use maple veneer on the sides of the piece:
So I used a Minwax Dark Oak stain instead and top coated with a water based poly.
In fact, that process went so well that I measured the sides and cut two more pieces of veneer that I glued and nailed into place. Then I stained all the veneer to match the top piece. I added some felt "feet" to the bottom of the legs to avoid scratches on my wood floor.
Voila! Now this sad little MS cast off is a thing of beauty! The perfect console table with storage and it's now counter height as well - I love it!!