My Yard Sale Tallboy

Here is the home-made solid wood tall-boy tower that I bought at a yard sale for $35:

I love it!  and it was just what I needed - something tall instead of wide.  It was painted in an eggshell finish which I personally dislike.  I prefer a semi-gloss or a pearl finish (or a chalk paint finish if I'm looking for something a little more unique).  It sat for weeks and I couldn't decide what to do so I painted it my old stand-by bone white.

The colour didn't have enough oomph for me though and I began to notice a trend of wallpaper being applied to furniture.   I opted to modpodge some scrapbook paper on the drawers.

Here is the paper just hanging by the knobs - so I could check it out and see if I actually liked the look:

It's actually the same pattern on two slightly different background colours.  One pattern is shiny and the other flat, so I alternated them on the drawers.


then I modpodged the paper onto the drawer fronts.


a small portion of my many costume jewelry pieces.  I keep extra tart tins for stashing all the stuff I can't be bothered to put back in my jewelry box... 

Problem is, now I've come up with a really cool idea for this cabinet and I need the paper off the piece - anybody out there have an easy technique for removing modpodged paper from wood???  It seems to be welded on there. HELP!!!  Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Have an awesome week!

PS don't miss out on my Ramsign giveaway!!  It runs until August 24th.

Linking to:
Rustic Restorations Weekend
Catch as Catch Can
Jennifer Rizzo Fabulously Creative Friday
Funky Junk SNS
Overflowing with Creativity
Sundae Scoop
DIY Project Parade
Show me what ya got
One Project at a Time
Transformation Tuesday
All-Star Block Party
Sizzle Into Summer
Wow Us Wednesdays
Tuesdays Treasures
Transformation Thursday
Wildly Original Link Party
Creative Things Thursday
Treasure Hunt Thursday
Under $100 Linky Party
Creative Inspirations
Feathered Nest Friday
Time Travel Thursdays
Show and Tell Friday
Potpourri Friday

Weekend Bloggy Link Party
EBTKS Party
Furniture Feature Friday
Days of Chalk and Chocolate
Frugal Friday



28 comments:

  1. Nice tallboy! Try Goo Gone. I got mine for a few bucks at Canadian Tire. I'm sure Home Depot will have it too. I've used it to remove sticky labels off glass and it works beautifully! I've heard you can just wet the surface and rub it off since Mod Podge is water based. Try that first then go for Goo Gone! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely piece! I agree with what Nancy suggested. I have Goo Gone and it has work wonders for me.
    Good luck and hope you have a wonderful weekend, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great piece and I can think of about a thousand used for it! As for removing modpodge, I'd try the hot water and yep...goo gone..it's wonderful stuff! Can't wait to see what you'll do with it next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your tall boy looks beautiful in white and with the wall paper too. As for removing it, no idea!
    Have a good weekend.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have removed wallpaper by spraying it with a solution of water and fabric softener....and it sure does make the room smell great!! So anxious to see your great idea..great deal on the "tallboy"....
    Have a great weekend Anne!...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried a chainsaw?! The only thing I can think is hot water and fingernails to scrape it off!

    Your tallboy is a tall drink of water!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anne, thank you for stopping in and your very kind comment...the potting bench is one of 12 I have made over the years....thankfully I managed to keep one for myself!
    Just use anything that appeals to you and you can't go wrong.....N.xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne,
    Great piece! I love it with the paper.I really don't know how to easily get that paper off.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tall boy as it sits, but if you really want to remove it, ask a wallpaper expert. There are enzyme-based removers. Like the previous commenters I would gently scrape the surface of the paper off, then use warm water. Came over from Rustic Restorations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job Anne! I have so many pieces that need an overhaul, maybe after summer, I hope:). Doing a giveaway tomorrow to the e-course, Creatively Made Home, hope you pop over. Have a great night, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you tried taking a damp old towel and laying it over the paper and then Ironing it on high. It should loosen the glue....I think :)
    Thank you for linking this up to Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too funny! Already want to change it. I will be waiting to see if the goo gone works ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I was the only one who wants to change things five minutes after I finish them! ;-) Mostly that happens after I paint a room and decide I want a different colour.

    I'd try water on the wallpaper first. I used mod podge on a vase and didn't like how it came out, and it came right off with warm water.

    Love your little tart tin jewelry holders :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. tallboy eh? I guess that's what I made out of my desk? I LOVE mine!
    Yours looks great with the paper on the front.

    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness! All that work now only to be taken off. That sounds like something I would do. Ha! I've never mod podged in my life. I'm sure I'm the only one. Everyone is suggesting Goo Gone, so that may be a good solution. I would google "removing mod podge" and see what you get. I use the internet for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anne,
    Have you tried using vinegar and water? That's how I got mine off the walls! Can't wait to see what you are going to do with the piece!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a special touch Anne.
    You did a fantastic job!
    Hugs Rosemary...xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a bargain you got, Anne! I have the same tall boy and I paid sveral hundred dollars for mine. It is to bad there is not a rewind button on the modpodge! I hope you can find an easy way to get it off. It seems you have some good suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw your headboad featured on Embracing Change. Congrats!!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love what you did to this highboy. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice job! I love the way it looks. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! Turned out nice.
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create! <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did you get it off!?!? I've just used hot water in the past...sounds like you have lots of great ideas hear!!! Excited to see what you end up doing with this tallboy! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  24. WD40 does the same as GooGone and it's something we always have hanging around. You can use a hard plastic pot scraper to remove the paper after you've got most of it off.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a great tallboy for a good price. I hope you figure out how to remove the paper easily.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just had the same issue and now I am in process of making over a makeover!
    AY!
    Thanks for linking up this week to the Creative Inspirations Linky Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anne, I'm finally posting some of my/ favorite projects from our 8/21 All Star Block Party and your tall boy is one of them! I have one similar to it and I love the look you got with the paper on the drawer fronts. You inspired me (again)!

    Shasta @InTheOldRoad
    http://intheoldroad.blogspot.com/2012/09/all-star-block-party-12-features-late.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...