Ikea Chair Makeover

I have an older Ikea armchair - the pre-cursor to the Poang chair I believe.  It's super comfortable and small enough to have in my little living room except that I don't like the look...  So a little makeover was in order.
Ikea chair in the far corner looking very dated...


I primed and painted the legs in bone white and waxed over the paint with Minwax dark paste wax.  I love the painted look.  I opted for a patterned fabric to add a little more interest.  I really wanted the same fabric as the tea towel cushion I made (see photo below) but couldn't find anything to match. 


The pattern and colours would have been perfect!  Instead, I decided to buy another cotton shower curtain like the one in my bathroom:

The pattern is a bit large, but I think it will work!


OK so there it is and nobody look too closely cause I am a terrible sewer!!!  I don't have a sewing machine so I do everything by hand... I folded the shower curtain in half and sewed up the bottom and one side.  After stuffing the original cushion into the new "pillowcase", I made some strategic cuts to allow for the original cushion cover to slip over the back of the chair and then I tucked the edge of the new cover up underneath it.  I'm never going to be as good a sewer as Linda, her cushions are to die for!!! but at least my cats think I'm amazing :)

Cheers!


23 comments:

  1. Wow - what an improvement - love it!
    And what a great idea to use a shower curtain!!!!
    Have to rummage through some of my old ones - great idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a huge improvement. I can't believe you sew by hand. There is nothing stopping you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne that is fabulous! I love it and am stunned that it's a shower curtain! You are so clever! I'm not much of a sewer either. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a wonderful job and to sew by hand is amazing! It doesn't even look like the same chair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sewed it by hand??!!...Looks great!!...I love the fabric!...In one of my homes, I loved the beautiful fabric of the shower curtain so much, that I bought another and made a valance for the bathroom....You did a fantastic job...now if I can just figure out how I can make a pillow out of shower caps.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great redo and it is simply perfect for the space!!! : ) you are a clever lady! : ) hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    Great job! LOVE that fabric! Don't worry I can't sew either.Looks pretty good to me!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cats are right - you are a chair makeover rockstar! I can't even sew a button so I'd have to settle for draping the fabric over the chair and hope nobody would notice!

    Love the large scale fabric - very mod!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I'm impressed that you sewed the cover by hand! I really like the pattern, and I think it works great on the chair. It's fun to give new life to old pieces, isn't it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne ... I have to agree with your cats ... great look, love the fabric and perfect for that corner.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com
    Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your cats. It look very comfortable. A great improvement ... perfect for that corner.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOPS ... somehow I lost the first comment, but I guess it posted when I was not looking ...
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love it! That pattern is so pretty, and I love how you have the chair some character!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job! I have this chair in my son's room and have always wanted to transform it! You've inspired me! I'd love for you to share this at my blog party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday through Sunday. This would be a great addition! Hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Anne,
    Your chair looks fabulous! I think you have picked a great fabric for it. Too bad you don't live in Winnipeg, I would sew it for you if you were.
    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL ... and thanks for the shout out! I was sitting on an airplane trying to read that Evanovich book when this post went up. And of course during the week I'm away you decide to post all these posts! So now I must play catch up with all my fave bloggers this weekend ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. Much better! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's party time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you're invited!! Please stop on in and link up with Making Space Mondays. We look forward to seeing any post(s) about making your space better. Hope to see you there. -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute Anne! That is great fabric!!!
    Thanks for linking up this week to the Creative Inspirations Linky Party!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done! You completely changed the look of the chair. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...