Vintage Oak In-Box

I can't believe my luck in finding two vintage wooden in-boxes at the local dump last weekend.  The first one I didn't think twice about and slathered it over with off-white chalk paint to use in my new baker's rack:


It was a pretty standard looking box - no special features to speak of, it looked like regular plywood had been used and it was stained with an orangey stain - ick!

The second one was oak and had some old labels stuck to the sides which is why I didn't slap the paint over it instantly.  I took it outside to sand off the labels and when I was sanding in the bright daylight, I began noticing a few details.  Like the dovetailed corners:


and the vintage label:

and the vintage engraved inspection label, catalogue number and manufacturer on the bottom:



So I decided to leave it in its natural state and I got out the Murphy's Oil Soap to clean it.  And clean it.   And clean it...  omg, it took me over half an hour of cleaning before my cloth came away only faintly grey instead of black.  Guess nobody cleans office in-boxes!  EVER!

After it had dried, I wiped a generous amount of baby oil (100% mineral oil) all over it and added little rubber feet.  Now it's a tray for my dining room table.


And somebody just threw this box away without thinking twice.  Wow.  Lucky me!

Keep looking for those treasures, girls!  They're everywhere around us when we take the time to look for them.




My all-time favourite peony.  No idea what the variety is, got it for a song at an end of season sale.

Have a happy and creative week!
and another shot of my gorgeous peony :)  just because...


Linking to:
Funky Junk Interiors
It's Overflowing
I heart Nap Time
DIY Showoff
Homemaker on a Dime
Serendipity and Spice
Mod Vintage Life
Coastal Charm
Between Naps on the Porch
Cedar Hill Ranch
the Ironstone Nest
All Star Block Party
DIY by Design
Saavy Southern Style
Beyond the Picket Fence
Thrifty Decorating
French Country Cottage
2805
the Charm of Home
Common Ground
From My Front Porch to Yours
A Little Knick Knack
Rooted in Thyme

31 comments:

  1. Love your tray Anne, and I guess nobody would ever think of cleaning an inbox! It is something that just sits on ones desk for ever and ever!

    Your peony is sooo beautiful I just want to take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! Lucky find! Can't wait till I can start collecting :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful find! Thank goodness for those pesky stickers ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.. how pretty Anne! The white one is gorgeous! I love that you left the second one natural too! Both very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That oak box is a treasure. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so lucky to have found the perfect wooden trays. I love how the baker's rack is now complete. Wonderful ending to your design! Thanks for sharing on SImple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  7. That peony is gorgeous....and let me understand.....you found this at the dump?

    We don't even have things like that at yard sales here :)

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  8. You dumpster diving diva you....the heavens were perfectly aligned for you when you were "at the dump"...the trays were calling your name...Anne, rescue us..!! and you certainly did...you gave them new life!!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thrilled to see you didn't paint over that fabulous find! Looks fabulous as a tray - you go with your dump finding girl!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anne,
    How did you get so lucky?! Great finds!So many possibilities with these.Love how you displayed these both.
    (((Hugs)))
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do miss the dump! There is a HUGE house under construction and I've been wanting to go by and sift through their dumpster on the street ... not that I'll find any cool old in boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad that you took the time to treat it well as it looks so lovely on your table. Happy junking! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Ann the boxes and bakers rack are wonderful but oh gosh those Peonies are to die for gorgeous.
    Have a great Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how I find things that people want to trash it! ...which dump do you go to? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a thing for boxes, and yours are wonderful. Love the special features on the one you didn't paint. Just great!
    Thanks so much for stopping by, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  16. That tray is so pretty, and the peony is beautiful. Wish they grew here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I cheered out loud when you said you looked over the details and decided not to cover them in paint. That tray is terrific! Both are really.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love both of your in-boxes, Anne.
    The first one sits there as if it was always meant to be a part of the shelf and the other one has so much character to it!
    You are lucky indeed, but very creative too :)
    And yes, the peony is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your peony is gorgeous! The in-boxes are so pretty, hard to believe someone would throw those away. I love the painted one and dark wood is gorgeous, I love it.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on finding both those treasures. I love the way the painted one fits on the baker's rack and the cool details on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome DUMP treasures and thanks for sharing them at NTT.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dumpster diving is one of my favorite
    things to do but Mr. N hates me to do
    it... all the good stuff that is
    tossed is amazing.
    Great find with that in box. I'm so
    glad you did not paint over it!
    Great job!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks amazing!! I can't believe the before and after!! Thanks so much for sharing and I am a new follower!!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the tray. I'm so glad that you cleaned and oiled it instead of painting it. It looks great. I tend to paint most things, but have found that sometimes certain things just need to be cleaned and left as is. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  25. they both are great. glad you were able to keep the second one in it's original state. it's super cool!! (love your BR, too)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What great finds Anne! I love your peony! Thanx for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The box is nice but the real treasure is your peony! I live too far south to grown a peony but I so admire their beauty. I did see a real peony bush once in north Georgia and it stopped me in my tracks. They could easily rival a rose.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What an awesome find. I just love it.. it's so rustic and so lovely..
    Thanks for sharing at the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY!!!

    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your lucky find. Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...