Coffee Table to Bar Table in 2 Simple Steps!

I'm still  messing around with my furniture, trying to find places for all the pieces I own so that I know clearly what is or isn't going to work for me (then I can sell the rest!).

So back to my mudroom/laundry room...  I had set up my outdoor bistro set as a temporary breakfast nook but I really wanted a countertop height table that would give me room to fold clothes, work on projects, work on my laptop, enjoy the view - yup, bistro table doesn't cut it!

My coffee table was a dumpster find from last summer.  It's been painted and repainted and is waaaaay too big for my small living room.  I was studying it last week and decided it would be pretty simple to change out the legs on it for longer legs.  It actually makes me think of a small kitchen table - I'll bet someone just cut the legs down to use it as a coffee table.

I took the legs off the table & had a look at them.  Then I found a couple of youtube videos on making legs for a table similar to mine.  I raced off to the building supply to buy two 8' 2x2s that were straight, true and NOT full of knotholes and such.  I measured out the length I wanted and cut the wood to size.  After perusing Ana White's blog for table designs, I decided the longer legs would need bracing to keep them from bowing out and to make them a little stronger - they are only 2x2s which aren't really all that strong.

Here is me struggling to do the work in the 5 1/2' wide mudroom because it's pouring rain outside...


I sanded then primed and painted the legs and touched up the table top.  The legs are attached to the table by large screws that are bolted through a metal plate.  The only difficult part was drilling through the plate into the wood making sure the leg was straight!!  The bracing was super simple, the 2x2s are cut to size, installed at the 12" mark and glued and screwed to the legs with 2 1/2" deck screws.  Because I love my new brad nailer so much, I nailed them as well - just so I could use the nail gun :).

Sunday was brilliantly sunny so I could show you how wonderful this space is with the sun pouring in!

I re-used my shutters to cover the side of the washer/dryer.  A quick and light coat of white paint to let the grain and other paint colours show though does the trick. Oh and the pipes under the table will be cut down so that the table fits snug against the wall and then I will box in the bottom half of the pipes so you don't see them.

The crate has to stay as it is my cat's favourite place to sleep...  

Yay - another project done.

Have a happy and creative week!


54 comments:

  1. Excellent idea, and so simple! It looks absolutely perfect! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! Love it :o) First thing hubby said was "it almost looks like our kitchen table!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, yet another amazing job! I have to tell you that your energy and enthusiasm are truly inspiring! Sometimes when I have to tackle something I think Anne would have already done it and re-done it twenty times over!

    Thanks Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ι'm loving clever ideas and quick projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a simple fix that most people would never attempt! Great work Anne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! This will be perfect for the space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You give me hope girl, I just wish I had the energy that you do! That was a fantasic idea with the coffee table turned table, you truely are amazinhg!

    Rondell♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is there anything that you can't do? What a great idea to make a large table out of your coffee table. And it fits perfectly in the kitchen.

    Have a blessed and wonderful day.
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two simple steps for you ... two major headaches for me! Hey, I'm the girl who messed up a simple mod podge coaster. Can you imagine me making new legs for a table? Legs with bracing to boot?

    Love this ... and guess what? You're out of the spam folder again!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonder woman did it again....what you can do with a paint brush and power tools is amazing....you are way, way too creative and talented!....and I love the color!
    The shutters look awesome.....another project that deserves the Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a wonder crafter. Love this project!


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne!! WOOHOO!!! Wuh wuh wuh!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the table, and the shutters, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heart a handy girl. :) Any gal who has an idea, youtube's it and runs out to the home improvement store to make it happen is a friend of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh girl you rock!! Your talent is amazing... to be able to look at something buy the necessary things and put it together is incredible... it's perfect for your laundry room. I love the crate!!
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! This looks great!!! I've been browsing through your blog, and you've been busy!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you did to hide the electric panel...how clever. You're very capable!! I need to learn how to use a saw!! Your house is really looking nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great post! I really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for sharing this valuable information with us. I have bookmarked this site and will be sure to check for updates. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome job! You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving your mud-room transformation! The table and the matching stools are looking gorgeous...especially the color and finish on them is so pretty...I love it! Wonderful project! Thanks for the inspiration,Anne!Hugs,Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  20. WoW! You are just TOO smart, lady! Is there anything that you can't do!?!
    I love it and it looks just FABULOUS.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. And the rain stops as soon as you're done struggling and sweating and wrangling that table!! But it looks amazing and I love the shutters on the side of the washer/dryer!

    And a cat that likes sleeping in a crate?!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks great! I need a kitchen island... you've inspired me to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  23. un felice fine settimana a Te...ciao

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to say that I'm really impressed! I would have never thought to change out the legs. You really did an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, Anne! You're awesome! Love it!!! It definitely had that mini table look and you made it perfect! Thank you for sharing at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Mable get off the table. No dancing. This is fab. Most people take a table and cut off the legs. You think outside the box and I love it. Anybody can throw money at a project, but it takes a creative mind to turn other people's trash into treasures. Brilliant!! Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really great idea...your eating area is getting better and better! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great idea this is and yours turned out fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great how-to. Love the way the table turned out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just awesome!! Totally clever idea and it looks fantastic. :-) Thanks so much for sharing it at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anne, what a cool project, I love your creativity. Great upcycle!

    Hugs, Tanya :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Creative, great reusing. Laundry area looks great. Handy to have extra flat surface for projects, folding, snacks ... and so much more. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a pretty laundry room you have created! Love the color of your table top. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is amazing! Love the colors, and so ingenious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, what a great redo on the legs, looks like you found the perfect spot for the table now. Thanks for showing how you did it, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  36. I LOVE the paint treatment on this Anne! You did a FanTasTic job! You should be proud of yourself!!
    xo Becca

    ReplyDelete
  37. Perfect...what a cheery spot to fold laundry! Love the crate bench next to it too :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love it your spaces are really comin together!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is very pretty--I love the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your final table looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great job with the new legs! It looks like they belong with the table top! Thanks for linking up to the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great job! What a pretty little place to sit (:

    ReplyDelete
  43. GORGEOUS work! I love the color on the top and the brush strokes. Marvelous job!
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
  44. Awesome idea! Love the colors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Fantastic job!!! This is an awesome re-do... I am always so impressed with you gals and your skills....just so talented ...

    Thanks so much for sharing with the ALL STARS BLOCK PARTY... =)


    Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great Job This table keeps pulling through for you. It looks. Great.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  47. Very pretty Anne! That turned out great! I had to laugh at you working in a teeny space - that is totally my life! Love what you created and the stolls are stinkin' cute!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  48. What a brilliant idea to put longer legs...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love how it turned out. You're so creative!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  50. How darn clever and cute is THAT Ms. Anne!

    ~Bliss~

    ReplyDelete
  51. Another fabulous project, Anne! You have so much creative energy!

    Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is genius, love how it turned out! I'm looking for a small table for my kitchen right now and had never considered a coffee table before!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...