Subway Art Kitchen Cart


Who doesn't have one of these carts???


Another Ikea Bekvam hack job!  I've wanted some subway art in my kitchen for a while, but never found exactly what I wanted.  A few weeks back I decided it would be cool to paint up my kitchen cart and print words on the apron sides.  I started my project with great gusto...  Unfortunately, both ideas that I came up with failed miserably and I put the whole thing on the back-burner.

 

               FAIL!                            FAIL!



It's funny how inspiration comes sometimes.  I had just bought some new paper napkins for the dining room and when I was putting away the old napkins (subway art napkins, to boot!) I realized they would be the perfect thing to add to my cart!!


I primed and repainted the cart creamy white to cover up the mess I had made with my previous attempts at subway art.  I pulled apart two napkins so that I only had the top layer with the pattern on it to work with.  I cut the napkins to size and applied modpodge to the sides of the cart.  I applied the napkins over the top of the modpodge and smoothed the surface with my fingers - being very careful not to tear the napkin.  I had centered the napkins on the cart sides, but they were just a little too narrow for the space.

My adoring dog who is always at my side gets a feature role here!
Luckily, the napkins had a gold edge so I cut extra pieces of the edging and applied them to either side of the pattern.  Then I applied another layer of modpodge over the top of the napkins.


I added extra hooks for hanging useful things.


I really like this look and now I have a little bit of subway art in my collection.  (Although now that I look back, I don't mind the other two looks as much anymore!)  Have napkin - create art!!

Visit thecsiproject.com
And then this project was named one of the
top 10 Subway projects!  Hooray!



34 comments:

  1. It looks so cool! The scripted napkin was a great idea. Sometimes i tend to do things the hard way then i realize there is a simpler but effective way. Oh well we learn from mistakes :)

    Xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love how you showed your fails and the process. It turned out looking great!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a wonderful job! I love how it turned out and I don't think the other two tries were bad at all:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,
    Isn't it fun how something will just spark a creative idea?LOVE this cart.Looks great!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job I love how it ended up!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT!!!!! does it come with the little doggie cutie pie!!!! hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. i've used napkins on other things, but, never to thought to try them on furniture pieces--very clever idea, ann! love your helper:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Great idea using the napkins. I love how it ended up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I agree it turned out awesome looking!! You really did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saludos muy cariƱoso.

    Manoli

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anne, I adore this!

    I've been avoiding subway art projects because I'm not a fan of stencils. Okay, I'm impatient with the stencils and stencils need patience what with all that lining up the dots and dabbing just right ...

    Now the Mod Podge the napkin option? yeah, I'm seriously digging that option ...

    Loving the pup. And the cabinets and hardware in the kitchen!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wording for your cart is terrific, Anne. It always tickles me how you will keep at a project until it's just what you had envisioned. Are you, by chance, a perfectionist? lol

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week. I love keeping up with your wonderful projects.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your fails too but the final is truly wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing at this week's party, can't wait to see next week's project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anne!

    Great job! It really looks cool!

    Big hug
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anne, All three versions were great if you ask me! I particularly like 2 and 3, but I have a gut feeling it won't be long before you come up with yet another makeover for this piece. You are so creative that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahah, my first thought was 'wait, where is the fail?', I didn't think your other tries were bad at all. But I love the ease of the mod podged napkin...and the functionality of the cart. Great add on with the hooks. And your pup is adorable...we all need a supervisor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought your first two were your INSPIRATION photos. LOL! But I couldn't miss the giant FAIL plastered across them :) All three carts look wonderful. Awesome job.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's too funny! I like the one that failed at the top on the left hand side, but the napkin idea looks great too! Love the hooks. Thanks for linking up to Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am always in awe of my clever blogging friends. I would never even think of any of this! It looks great! Joan

    ReplyDelete
  20. that's what we do... try, try, try again! :)
    Third time's the charm Anne!
    cut cart!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  21. That turned out really cool. I actually like the second one too. I like the hooks you added. Function is something that is very important to me in design :)

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it, Anne! I love the whole cart actually. It looks like a great and useful piece to have in your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is just as cute as it can be!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Heart this! Came over form Cowgirl Up to see another subway piece - yours is totally different and right up my Mod Podged alley.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so clever! Love the subway art on the cart!
    Thanks for linking - Stacey :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. adorable! i love the smaller scale- it suits the cart!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very artful...it came out great! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would follow me back http://smallholdings.blogspot.com
    Thanks for the post, Sherron

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks so good! The napkin idea is brilliant! Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Thanks also for all your wonderful comments on my blogs, you're a great friend.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fun idea! I like the other subway arts, too! I'm having a giveaway for $50, hope you can check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anne, I personally liked the first one right away. They all were nice. And no, I don't have a subway art cart. LOL, we have friends, who own several Subway sandwich shops and I read your topic..Subway art...my mind went immediately to Subway's sandwich art school that they went to. Thanks, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anne, I'm now following you on Linky and hope to see you over my way. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have a similar cart but I upcycled mine from a dining room table (http://www.thediyspot.com/2010/04/upcycled-table-is-now-a-kitchen-island/).

    Perseverance always pays off. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...