Mudroom and Laundry Get a Makeover Part 2

Welcome to my neverending mudroom/laundryroom makeover!  I'm finally getting my laundry tub installed!!!  I've been packing that tub around with me for 6 years, so happy I will finally get to use it!   On the other hand, I just discovered that the electrical in that bathroom needs to be completely replaced... Ay yi yi!!!!!!!  Renos!  Why do we do this to ourselves????
AFTER

In order to accommodate the installation of the laundry tub, I had to change my original idea for the layout of the laundry room.  My laundry tub will now be located next to the bathroom to allow for existing plumbing lines to be used.  The plumbing and electrical for the washer and dryer won't move, but I can move the washer away from my window so that the units can be stacked.

Before Photos:

This is the room just after I moved in.  The mess on the far wall was my ex boyfriend  levelling out the very old and unlevel wall with extra mud.  I had just bought the washer & dryer.
The first thing I did was hang a curtain rod and make a curtain out of a twin sheet I bought in a clearance bin for under $2.  I also had a new window installed and trimmed out.  No more single pane windows in this house!!
I bought a sink cabinet to house my laundry tub.  A left-over piece of laminate countertop from the kitchen reno gave me a bit of extra counter space as a quasi work surface.  (Actually, the poor washer and dryer wound up being my work space & now they're all beat up... thank heavens for Abbie at Five Days Five Ways who showed us how to paint our appliances! That's a coming attraction.)


I got a closet organizer on sale and installed it in a cubby.  The sink cabinet got moved and I hung an Ikea hat rack over the counter.


I had painted the room with Ben Moore's Sundial but I found that shade of yellow too drab for my liking.  My new favourite off-white paint is a mix of a white base paint with a cup of Ben Moore's Lenox Tan added in.  I LOVE it!!

Now I've repainted the entire space and swapped out my closet and laundry tub cabinet.  This is a much better layout, the area feels much more spacious.  I'm so pleased I had to wait for this reno!  If I had forged ahead with my original layout, I would have been disappointed.  Instead I've gained twice the hanging space for my closet and it's hidden from view by the stacked washer and dryer.





























This shot is just prior to stacking the washer and dryer.  I cut a piece of maple plywood for a counter beside my laundry tub and hung shelves above.  This all came together so perfectly!!  I borrowed a 4" hole saw and a friend helped me drill the hole for the new dryer vent.  I patched and painted the wall under the window which was full of holes from screw anchors and got another friend to help me stack the washer and dryer.

Now all that remains is to plumb the laundry tub and install the faucet.  Thanks to some wonderful friends helping me with the things I couldn't do myself, this reno cost me materials only.  My laundry/mudroom is almost done!! 

Have a happy and creative week!


32 comments:

  1. You are such a go-getter Anne! Your laundry/mudroom turned out so nice, I love the shelves and how you have them decorated. The sink looks great and I do love the counter on it! Glad you have good friends to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,this is a lovely workable space now. Don't you just love a good laundry. It makes it a pleasure to work in. Some great ideas here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great makeover. My laundry room is a mess! I think you've inspired me to so something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made over my laundry 2 years ago in PINK and it turned out well, sugar. Yours is darling also. Come visit to see mine. I think you'll like it also. Nice to meet you,
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. It now seems very well organized! Good job! You're lucky to have a laundry and mudroom, we don't have that luxury here in Greece (too small appartments)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done....doesn't make a difference when someone helps change something? Suddenly all the chores that seemed so onerous become light and exciting and so everything gets a change. Have a good week Joan

    ReplyDelete
  7. They always say you should live in a space at least three to five year before you remodel - so you get the feel of how you will live and work in the space.

    Your doing a great job.

    hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi Anne, The laundry room looks much more practical and pretty now! Another great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you placed a closet organizer in that room...that is a great idea!...So many clever ideas..you clever woman!...do I see any aqua coming in that room?

    Great space Anne!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the laundry room. Now you have a great place to work. No one loves doing laundry but since we redid ours I find it much more relaxing then before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh what a great transformation! It looks so wonderfully organized!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the curtains and the closet is to die for! I'm a closet freak, by the way. Good thing with the discounted flat rate :) Flat rate is the clever way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yea Anne! discounts are always great, and makeovers are even better. Happy new laundry days!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a wonderful job you did! everything looks so fabulous and oh so well organized! thanks for sharing my friend...hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome makeover, and it looks so neat and organized. Thanks for sharing at cowgirl up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You go Anne! Looks like you have a fabulous new guy who can install plumbing - glad you got rid of that old boyfriend who couldn't do handyman work!!!

    It was worth lugging that sink around all those years to get this!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is nothing like doing it yourself!! What an accomplishment. Love how you really made it work for you and used all your space. It's wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Anna

    The room looks great. Love the color too.

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so jealous! It looks so amazing. My laundry dungeon is truly disgusting. Seriously. It's doubtful it'll ever make its way on the blog ...

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yea!!! Maybe this will motivate me to do the 2 projects left in my laundry room! They have been waiting to be done for a year come summer!

    I love all the space you have in your room! You've done a great job using it well.

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you did with your laundry room! Mine is in serious need of some TLC. Dropping by and following from the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a nice spacious laundry room! Love the organizing you did. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love it! So pretty and organized! You did such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That new sink is going to be so handy!! What, what, what are you going to paint your washer dryer??? Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic job and great luck in finding the plumbing help.

    My laundry room is scarily like a dungeon. I'm not thrilled to spend the amount of time there that I have to. Time for a big change!

    ReplyDelete
  26. That turned out so awesome! Looks great! I would love to have a laundry room like that! :)

    good job!

    ~Lisha

    ReplyDelete
  27. So organized and so pretty! Great job, Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You have a beautiful house Anne!
    Even your laundry room is amazing!
    I wish I had this room!
    Thanks for linking up this week!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful job! I'm inspired by your makeover. Thanks for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ann what a great update and i know it makes laundry all the more enjoyable!:) Thanx for partying at my place lady!:)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very awesome blog !! I couldnt have wrote this any better than you if I tried super hard hehe!! I like your style too!! it's very unique & refreshing…

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...