Painting Out 1930s Wood Trim

I can't believe I did it.  I can't believe how much work it was.  I can't believe I plan to do more...


But it looks pretty amazing!! 

Part of the charm of the home I bought a year and a half ago was the untouched original woodwork.  Unfortunately, someone along the way had decided to shellac the wood making it very, very shiny which, of course, accentuated all the dings and scrapes that had occurred over the years.  In addition, the woodwork was made out of fir which generally turns a dark orangey colour over the years.  I'm not fond of orangey wood any more...

So last year, I took the plunge and painted the two wood paneling walls in the house - one in the dining room and one in the living room.  I love the look of the painted paneling.  Here's the before & after of the living room wall:


and here is the after shot of the dining room wall of paneling (I never took a before shot of the room - too much of a hurry to do my project!)
See all the orange trim???  Beautiful in its own way, and that is what made it so difficult for me to take this plunge.  That being said, half the baseboards in the living room were original to the house and half were replaced when the addition was built 3 years ago so they are not the same colour.  Plus the wood colour doesn't match the floor colour.  My choices?  Strip and refinish the old wood or paint everything the same colour.  It was a dilemma!  Until I had a conversation with one of my girlfriends on Friday.  Her words - " ya, fir always turns orange over time".  !!!!!  Lightbulb moment!  So even if I go to the backbreaking, long & tedious work of refinishing this wood, it was just going to turn back to the same ugly orange again.  Decision made - paint it is!!!

I washed all the trim and doors and baseboards with TSP and then rinsed them.  I also used Zinsser's Cover Stain oil-based primer because it's supposed to cover shiny surfaces without the need for sanding.  I didn't sand either.  The paint is Behr's paint & primer in one in a colour I mixed myself to be more of a light coffee cream colour than the Almond Cream that I had bought.

Let me say now that I am not good at cutting in. In fact, I will generally do anything in my power to avoid that job, but in this case I had no choice.  I have to say that overall it was a good experience because I am now very practiced at it and have developed a better technique.  But it took me 12 hours to develop that technique.  12 hours of crawling across the floor.  I hate trim...

Here are the befores & afters:
Before
After
Before

After

Before


After

Before




Granted the dining room looks much more impressive than the living room but the exposure is so much nicer in this room.  My living room is quite dark in comparison!  I'm also hoping to use my favourite door as a replacement for the door to my front porch -
It's too tall and 1/4 inch too wide so I need to figure out how to cut it down to fit.  Wouldn't it be fab?!

Incidentally, I never did paint the newer trim in the living room because it joins up with the hallway trim and I thought it would look odd.  The living room portion is mostly hidden by the couch anyway.  Once I got used to the idea of  painted trim, I decided that it would look best if all the trim in the spaces that join up visually were painted the same creamy white.  So, how to avoid another 12 hours of cutting in?  I'm going to paint the entire hallway - ceiling, walls & trim - the same colour! The trim will be in a pearl finish so it should look a little different from the wall, but no cutting in other than where the trim meets the floor!!  I am so brilliant I've even inspired myself!  lol

Have a happy & creative week!

To see all the before photos in their horrifying highly lacquered orangeness:  It's Decided
To see the rest of the updates:   the Turquoise Door



Don't miss another post!





40 comments:

  1. Wow! I am loving all the after photo looks. I cannot believe how much work that was! If I would choose, I'd definitely go for paint the walls too! Beautiful! Great job!

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Anne, I'm impressed by al the work you did and the final results you achieved!
    It looks like I missed your last two or three post so got a lot to say today. Love your mason jars turned into liquid soap dispensers. Got to try the project myself. And your armoire makeover... well, I'm speechless: it looks stunning and has got character too.
    Again, I'm so glad I've found your blog.
    Have a nice weekend!
    rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, Our cottage had dark wood trim and doors like yours and like you I debated paint or not. I painted and have never been sorry! I think your came out great, it looks fresh, more cohesive, and your rooms look bigger. Beautiful job! Thanks for stopping by and our flowers are about 6 weeks ahead of normal, so I know what you mean about spring being far off. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,
    Looks amazing.I LOVE how light it looks.And details like the trim are so important.You made the right decision.LOVE that chippy old door too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lot of work - but the after pictures are so awesome. You made the right decision to paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann,
    Your rooms look beautiful with the walls and trim painted. I love the colors that you've used, they're lovely.
    Practice does make perfect, I've learned to cut in, just by doing it. And you've done a marvelous job of it!
    You have a darling little house and yes, that door is so pretty, it will look really nice on your house.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting trim just sucks, but it really makes such a huge difference. Looks SO great now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Painting the trim made such a difference. You have such a beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always like the look of crisp white woodwork. It makes a room look so bright and clean. I love the look of painted paneling. Your after pictures of your lovely home look great.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice job with the painting - it always looks so fresh and crisp when you have white woodwork! While it was a long tedious job - it sure looks great!
    Hugs -
    Carol @arewethereyet

    ReplyDelete
  11. WHAT a transformation! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! Makes the whole room just POP!

    I so dislike painting period...but I strongly dislike painting trim the most! But you did GREAT!

    Lou Cinda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous job sweet girl, you are one talented gal! The after photos are awesome too. Ican' even imagine all the work you did to finish such perfect and beautiful AFTERS!! I just dropped by MeT. Monday too. Enjoy your new rooms.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a dramatic difference! Looks like a whole new house just from that one change. I'm with you...I hate painting trim too but you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne I love all the afters!! Love the look of painted paneling and white trim.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the afters. It feels so much more like a cottage now. The paint colors you chose are beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it, hard work has paid off because the after pictures make the room look more spacious and bright. Much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it, hard work has paid off because the after pictures make the room look more spacious and bright. Much better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know the hard work involved but it was SO worth it! What a difference it all made!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love white trim so in my opinion it was so worth all of the hard work. Huge difference in the before and after photos. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Boy, this was a big project for you but it turned out fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the white trim! And I think you'll be glad you used the BIN primer - it should also help to keep the orange from bleeding through your new white paint. Trim is so tedious, but you did an amazing job!! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the look of painted paneling. I've got paneling I'm about to install...long story,but I'm going to paint it.
    It will be my "new" den~

    You did a great job, and it all looks so fantastic...and cozy.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the transformation! The paint looks great. Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i'm throwing my support behind you
    100% for painting that woodwork

    mainly because i've been painting our
    120 year old woodwork white too
    and making folks gasp with dismay

    but you know what?
    it's your house
    and it should look the way you want it to look!

    thanks for sharing at Fridays Unfolded!

    alison

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a JOB! I know, because I have slowly but surely done the same thing!
    Everything looks fabulous! Wow, it makes such a difference!
    thanks for linking up to catch as catch can.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks great Anne!
    Big changes!
    I would love if you came by my Creative Inspirations linky party to link it up - the party is happening NOW! I would love to have you there!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great post! All that work paid off. Love it...


    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is a lot of painting!!! I am SO impressed! It looks fabulous though and I am sure all of your work was worth it. Thanks so much for sharing again at The Creative Spark - I'm always so happy to see your projects! Have a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, what a difference! I know, it's hard for me to paint over original wood as well, just because it does have a beauty all its own. But, white brightens up the space so much! It really makes a world of difference. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I love it! I know how much work it is to paint that stuff! Many boring hours!!! Great work. I think it looks wonderful! Fun to see pics of your house too. It looks great!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your changes look fabulous! Great improvements!
    Thanks for linking up this week - hope to see you back this week!
    STacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow-wow-wow!

    Before I lived in San Diego I lived in a gorgeous Victorian in Chicago.

    The people who owned it before us took great pains to redo the place while staying "true" to the original details. When they sold it to us the woman looked at me earnestly and said, "I'm so glad we're selling to someone who sees the house the way we do..."

    Now I loved those period details but I was *dying* to paint the thick wood trim and it was *everywhere*. (And of course I felt guilty about it--silly, I know--but I did.)

    Ultimately we left it as is (we were only in the house for three years before coming west and I had a baby during that time) but whenever I see a transformation like this I dream of what could have been....

    Nice work!

    ~Elena
    `A Casarella

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks great. White trim always freshens up a room. Did you caulk the one paneling you painted? We had real knotty pine paneling where the previous homeowner must have put a bajillion coats of shellac on that we ended up painting too. The boards were so warped that it took us 25 tubes of caulk to fill all the cracks for painting!

    ReplyDelete
  34. It looks great. White trim always freshens up a room. Did you caulk the one paneling you painted? We had real knotty pine paneling where the previous homeowner must have put a bajillion coats of shellac on that we ended up painting too. The boards were so warped that it took us 25 tubes of caulk to fill all the cracks for painting!

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Ruth - YIKES 25 tubes of caulk??? Thankfully, I did NOT try to fill the cracks. I filled any visible nail holes and gouges, but that's it. Plus I used an oil-based primer and that gave me a super nice finish. Hate oil-based smells, but the finish it gives you is superb!

    PS Thanks everyone for your sweet comments - especially those no-reply bloggers because I haven't been able to email my thank yous!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful home Anne! I'm putting your panel painting in the Spotlight this weekend. Thanks for linking up...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your house has come so far Anne. It's amazing. And I have to tell you, your pictures have too! Not that your pictures a year ago were bad, or that I'm an expert by any means, but I can tell a difference for sure. Now that you've gotten a new camera, they're going to look even more awesome! And about that fir trim...kind of makes you wonder why anyone ever uses it in the first place. Are they thinking "I really like that orange-y trim color, too bad we have to wait a little while for it to turn that color!" Ha ha...Oh, and I love love love that door you were wanting to use for the front porch. Did you end up using it anywhere? Where did you find it? It's beautiful!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so much that fir turns yellow/orangey but rather the type of varnish they used to use....so I've been told by experts in the know ;-) That varnish will even result in a sort of orangey cast to darkly stained wood over time. Thank goodness for non-yellowing polycrylic and polyurethanes now on the market. Either way, that orangey color is icky. The painted trim now in Anne's house is SO pretty. Love it! You can see my own orangey experience below ;-)

      Delete
  38. Love the painted trim! In our former home we too had orangey trim and doors. It was all in great shape but actually made it hard to pick paint colors. Eventually I found some that worked well. But the thing is for the 25 years we lived in that house, I always wanted to paint over everything wood ...except the gorgeous oak floor which we did refinish ourselves. I did paint the window trim and window frames in one bedroom and loved it but just never got around to painting everything else. I also painted the oranged(birch) kitchen cabinets which I totally loved in their soft white color! We've moved since, but I always think how nice our other 1955 house would have looked with beautiful white trim everywhere! Your home is positively gorgeous! What a great redo for every room :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Connie. It was hard to choose a nice paint colour with all that orange trim. I'm so glad I painted it! Thanks for visiting :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...