Ikea Hack - Leksvik Dresser

When my plans for Christmas fell through unexpectedly and at the last moment, I decided I would treat myself to a master bedroom makeover.  The master bedroom redecoration project has been on the back burner for a long time - partly because it's such a large room, partly because I didn't know what colours I wanted and partly because I was just too lazy to take it on!!

The first leg of this odyssey was moving all the furniture into a more pleasing arrangement that had better flow.  So I began swapping out and rearranging furniture.

My furniture consists mainly of Ikea products.  I love them all, but in the case of my makeover I wanted something fresh and new...  I've been watching all the furniture painting that's been going on in blogland and I was now ready to jump in.  I painted my bedroom walls Benjamin Moore's Lenox Tan (love, love, love that colour!!) and I wanted a warm winter white as a contrasting colour.  I took a can of Behr's Almond Cream and mixed a cup or so of the Lenox Tan into it.  The warm off-white was PERFECT!!  I began with my Leksvik 4 drawer dresser:
DRESSER - B E F O R E

I painted the dresser drawers only and added painted wood knobs to give it an old fashioned look.  I LOVE the way it turned out!  The mirror was a recent purchase from a friend who is moving out of the country and with a coat of the same paint it matches beautifully.  I opted to prop it against the wall rather than hang it.
DRESSER - A F T E R
 After the paint dried, I rubbed sandpaper lightly over all the edges of the dresser drawers for more of  a distressed look.


Isn't it pretty?  I'm so pleased!!!

Remember how it used to look?
         
              BEFORE                                                               AFTER

Soooo happy with this one!  But them again, nothing in the room was saved from my painting binge.  My eyes immediately fell on this hook rack from Ikea that I had bought in the stained wood version.  (I like it hung out of plain view behind the door so I can hang all those clothes that aren't dirty enough to be washed... you know the ones I mean?? )  Anyhow, the rack needed and got the same paint treatment and distressed finish.

I love the edge detail - makes it look ancient and who doesn't love those Ikea hooks???  
I'll be posting the other furniture makeovers and then the room tour over the next week or so.  Stay tuned for all the other bits and pieces of this massive redecoration project!


Cheers!


27 comments:

  1. Cute dresser. So simple yet such a statement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks much nicer now, Good work Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I found your blog...great ideas! I'm a new follower too, so stop by and visit and follow if you like...I love making new blogger friends. Warm wishes, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great makeover...sometimes the simplest changes make the biggest difference. I found you via The Corson Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really freshens it up! I love the two tone look too. You did a great job! Thanks for linking up this week to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a very happy New Year, Anne. You have made a good start on your decoration plans it's amazing what a lick of paint can do to transform a piece of furniture...
    Best wishes
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dresser makeover looks fantastic!! The contrast of the white gives it so much more character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. following you from thrifty decor chick-stop by for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year, Anne! Your dresser turned out great! I love it! Buster said "thanks" for stopping by his blog post! Oh yes...I've tried to tell him curiousity kills...but he does not listen to me :)
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice job, Anne!

    Thank you for for sharing at Potpourri Friday. I wish you a healthy, prosperous and sparkling New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fabulous! I just bought an ikea dresser for my son with hopes of painting it : )

    I'd love for you to share at my party!
    http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2012/01/craft-tell-no-38.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute post! I'm having a Linky party too! I would love it if you would link up your favorite posts. Here is the link http://www.thesouthernproductqueen.com/one-stop-shoppe-linky-party

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great change! I'm loving white these days! Especially this time of year. It's so clean and new looking!

    Thanks for linking up to tell it to me Tuesday!
    I'm your newest follower!
    --Katie
    Creatively Living

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super lovely change Anne.. I love it.. :)) Great job Anne..:))

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely job you did, Karima

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi lovely,

    You've done a brilliant job! Ikea comes good again!!! Your room is looking gorgeous!

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It turned out beautiful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did such a great job...Your dresser turned out wonderful...I'm loving your candles wrapped in burlap too...Have fun transforming your room :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Ikea transformations and yours looks great!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for joining my linky party! This post rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anne, Happy new year! Your makeover is off to a good start. Look forward to seeing the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anne, what a great job! It looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My girls have two of these dressers (the taller ones), and I've been wondering what they would look like painted! Yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great transformation! I love the mirror propped against the wall!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love an Ikea Hack! Go for you to make the most of your Christmas replan.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That’s marvelous! Oh you’re such an inspiration. I’m going to do that with my dresser except I’ll use DrawItpaint dry erase paint so that my daughter can customize it the way she likes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...