A Wicker Trash Can Lampshade


I have one Ikea pleated lampshade that broke to smithereens when it got knocked over the other day.  I really love the look of wicker lampshades and I have a wicker trash can that has been sitting in a closet because I have no use for it. The trash can is a perfect shape for a lampshade:

 

Since Ikea lamps don't use a harp, I wracked my brain for a solution of how to attach my trash can to the lamp.  Enter little Ikea lampshade that also was sitting in the same closet:



The trash can fit perfectly over this lampshade leaving about 3" of room at the very top so I didn't even need to drill a hole in the trash can to let heat escape :).  PLUS the white surface of the inner lampshade reflects a ton of light rather than it being absorbed and diffused by the the wicker.  Now I have my wicker look and I've re-used two more things that were just taking up space.  Happy!

It seemed a bit too "new" so I wiped some coffee cream paint over the wicker with a rag:



So now it has a little more depth to it and a bit of an antique wash.







13 comments:

  1. What a great idea. Do you have a colour in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It adds texture too! Found you via Homemaker on a dime and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous idea and it works perfectly! Love this Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea you had. I love wicker too, it is so warm and inviting and it casts such pretty patterns on the wall at night time too:) Thank you for sharing. God bless x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, love the texture and organic quality--thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a terrific idea, Anne. Thanks for sharing it at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! I like the wash on it as well. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so clever, from trash to treasure :) Thanks so much for linking up at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea!!! I also love love the painting on the wall beside it,, its so nice to meet you,, I think I'm your newest follower.I want to thankyou for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...