Restyling the Kitchen & a little Coffee Bar


Ever since my kitchen reno began, I've been dreaming of ways to improve the way I've styled the top of the fridge, area around the sink and my sideboard.  I kept changing it up, but nothing really felt right.

Last week I decided that my coffee pot takes up too much valuable counter space - not to mention all the mugs I have in my limited number of cupboards.  I read a blog post on creating a coffee bar in your kitchen and then the wheels began turning...

I moved the coffee pot onto my sideboard right away and with the coffee pot came the mugs I use most.  Then the containers for coffee and sugar.  I like to use paper filters as well as my gold filter (easier cleanup!) and I had a spare matching canister, so the filters were promptly "decanted".  I made clay tags for the containers, brought in an old fruit crate (another garage sale find) that I scrubbed with Murphy's Oil Soap and then oiled with baby oil to give the wood a bit of a sheen.

I used the extra hooks from my pot rack to hang the cups on and moved things around on my shelf.  I LOVE it!!



 



With that crate being such a success, I decided I would put a bigger crate on top of my fridge.  This time I brought in a soda pop crate that had spacers in the bottom (yet another yard sale find!).  That styling was easy - what do you think?


Then there was the counter around the sink.  I love the paintings I have on the wall, but without any cabinets, the space felt - I don't know - empty.  I painted a mason jar and filled it with silk sunflowers and clustered some white and wood canisters around it.  A pretty cutting board completes the picture.



I also found an Ikea wrought iron pot rack at a garage sale for $3 (never out of the box!!!) and up it went.  I found a wrought iron bread basket to hang up, but I'm still searching for the perfect combination of things to hang from it.

One of the final touches in my kitchen was the installation of my range hood.  Finally my stove is well-lit!!!  I  hung a little rack to hold the salt & pepper grinders and some specialty vinegars that I use a lot and  I installed some hooks on the wall above the stove to hang utensils on.


I'm so happy!  Now that fall is in full swing, I'll be spending a lot more time inside and it is so wonderful to spend time in a space full of happy things (and it's a far cry from the way it looked when I moved in!!)

B  E  F  O  R  E    (Realtor's photo)
Cheers!


35 comments:

  1. I love what you did in your kitchen.And that chalkboard idea! I love it!

    xoxo
    Myric

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how wonderful!!!! and that chalkboard paint wall....that is so neat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great....love the pot rack over the sink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kitchen is looking wonderful! I like the coffee bar and the old soda pop boxes are the perfect additions to your refrigerator and the coffee bar! It really gives it that flea market look that is so nice. I love the chalk board bit of wall! What a great idea and the little chalk drawing is wonderful!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh WOW, your kitchen is beyond breathtaking!!!! I love it...Your home is a masterpiece.
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I have kitchen envy! Just lovely and the coffee bar is a perfect idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think what you've done is completely charming! I especially like the bread board vignette for it's brightness and simplicity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anee, your kitchen improvements are grand! I know what you mean about little counter space. I created an extra shelf in my corner pantry for the coffee pot. All I have to do is open and close the door!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you've done in the kitchen, especially the use of the crates above the frig and for the coffee bar. Great job!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pot rack & the chalkboard. You have great style! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very lovely, but a word of caution about using baby oil. Baby oil and cooking oils will turn rancid in time, so you should best use Mineral Oil to season woods, like your box and cutting boards. And, if you buy mineral oil for your wooden objects, might as well use it for a moisturizer as it is the base for almost all facial lotions. It doesn't smell, isn't greasy, and won't clog pores, and best of all, it is cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the caution about which oils to use - cooking oils definitely do turn rancid & shouldn't be used on wood surfaces. Baby oil, however, IS mineral oil (or at least the stuff I buy is) and that's why I used it.

    Thanks again, you can never be too cautious & I know lots of people don't read the product ingredient labels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi from Ontario, Canada. Your kitchen is pretty and I especially like the first photo-I'm a fan of aqua, black and woodtones and that vignette is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anne, The before picture looks so ho-hum. You have made a lot of positive improvements. I really like the chalkboard and the fact that you used colored and not white chalk. The little stonewear jugs on top of the fridge are great. Pot rack for $3! That was a steal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks great - what an awesome kitchen

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks great!!! I may borrow some of your ideas! Thanks for popping over to my little cottage in the woods to say 'Hi'!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't making up a kitchen so much fun! Thank for stopping by, we're your newest follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great transformation, Anne! Your kitchen looks fantastic! Love the vignettes and the chalkboard! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The kitchen is so pretty with the newer style...love the colors you picked out, love it all..great job..of course I love the blackboard..it is all so inviting, thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anne! I love you new coffee bar! What a wonderful idea! Isn't amazing how good it feels to rearrange and make our spaces not only more efficient but also more beautiful?? You did a wonderful job!!!
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you did with your kitchen.
    The blackboard is gorgeous and you have made some really nice, but still practical settings. I like that.

    Have a great day!
    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your kitchen! It's country meets modern in a way and so warm!

    stopping by from www.mommydigger.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I tried to respond to your visit by email but for some reason I'm not trusting it went through,, I wanted to make sure I thanked you for following me through my troubles,, I tried to leave tracks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A coffee bar is a great idea! You must feel like you are waking up in a Bed and Breakfast every morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I LOVE it.. Looks like a fabulous place to hang out.. Such a wonderful idea "a coffee bar".. Now you got me thinking.

    Happy PPF!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love your styling and organizing! So creative and inspiring!
    I want a chalkboard wall, too...but in my studio! :)

    All the best,
    Mary
    Mixed-Media Map Art

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful pictures, I love the cock and the star. Sunflowers convey joy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Anne!
    I found my way over from Martina's. Love your kitchen redo, and your blog. So happy to have found you. Love the styling with the canisters in the boxes - that's so smart! And so beautiful! LOVE IT!
    Xoxoo, A

    Oh, P.S. - I just posted the first room of the tour of our house, I hope you'll stop by to check out the Sunroom and the decoration. I think you'll like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anne! Just stopping back by to say thank you for linking for creative post to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great additions to your kitchen, I like them all, specially the hanging rack, so fab to hang pretty pots like the copper ones! Have a great Sunday. I just dropped from PF too. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your kitchen looks fabulous! Great score on the pot rack and I love your chalkboard wall. Thanks so much for linking up to The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this tomorrow. Have a wonderful Sunday!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a beautiful kitchen! Thanks for visiting me. Happy PPF abit late. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your kitchen! How about coming to my home and showing me what I can do different! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...