Stylish Storage for the Front Entry




Ever since I first moved into my house last year, I've been challenged by my 5 1/2' x 6' entry foyer/porch. There is no closet in it or even near it.  The previous homeowners had a row of hooks on the wall and a sofa table against the opposite wall and that was it.  I tried my best to live with it like this for a little while:


But for someone like me (I have a MAJOR coat and jacket fetish, not to mention shoes and boots...) I just couldn't live that way.  For a few months, I had a small wardrobe in the space but it didn't really work that well for me.  I put a much larger wardrobe in there which worked for storage but took up so much space, the entry felt jammed and uncomfortable.

I took the doors off hoping to open up the space a bit more:

That was better but the wardrobe was still too big and it also blocked my radiator, so the heat didn't flow properly in the space.  Finally, after 8 months of trying, I sold my big wardrobe!!!  YAY!!!!!  Now I could invest in what I really wanted - a closet organizer!!  I chose the Martha Stewart Espresso 4-8' Closet Organizer from Home Depot and got right to work installing it.

Much better use of space :)


Since the doors to the wardrobe were a part of the sale, I no longer had anything to cover up the electrical panel that is so prominent in my entryway.  I went to work building some shutters out of tongue & groove pine leftovers - they're just a teeny bit too short to fully cover the panel, but they do the trick and all it took was two 10' 1x6 boards.  I painted them  Rustoleum Heirloom White and then wiped Minwax Dark Oak stain over the top of the shutters so they would blend into the space a little better. Plus a few months ago I scored an almost brand new set of linen covered boxes at a garage sale for $10 and they fit perfectly in my cube storage unit.

B E F O R E
A F T E R






 I painted a piece of left-over baseboard in the same colour as the wall, added hooks and stenciled numbers above them to dress up the shelf section.  I also searched out all the matching baskets I have to fill the shelves below.


B E F O R E

A F T E R
I'm so happy with the look.  It's opened up the space and the entryway now feels quite large.  Everything is neatly stowed away, there's loads of space for my coats with room to spare and I can have tons of shoes and boots out there.  The whole system only took me an hour to install.  I feel very organized today!


Cheers!

Linking to:

Thrifty Decor Chick (show us your closets!)

12 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic! It does make the area look much more open and bigger too. Thanks for sharing at Roomspiration today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I love having some organization... it is rare in my house lol:) I hopped over from Homemaker on a Dime. P.S. I LOVE that door too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo...so organized and it looks fantastic!

    I don't put my shoes in my bedroom closet, and never quite understood why anyone would, unless you have someone else to clean your floors :)
    I put them on and take them off at the door. Maybe it's a climate thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you come to my house and organize. Bring your magic wand.
    Your home just keeps getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love an organized entry and yours looks great. We have a small entry and no mudroom, but I try and make good use of the closet and space we do have. I added hooks to our basement stairwell, but after seeing this I think I need to add some more hooks behind our front door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very jealous of all your lovely jackets!! The space look so super-duper organised. I'm in awe!!

    Thank you so much for linking up to my Fall In Love party.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great transformation Anne! Thanx for coming to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure they are soo adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a transformation Anne, the space looks much larger!

    Thanks for linking up to Roomspiration this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terrific organizaiton, Anne!

    Thanks for sharing this at Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job and lovely use of space! Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing at BC Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...