Fabulous Freebie from the Dump

It's so amazing how many times this year I've stumbled across something that has been discarded that is exactly what I've been searching for.  And sometimes I don't even realize it's exactly what I've been looking for until it has been put in its rightful place.

Over the past year I've been replacing all the light fixtures in my house with ones that are more to my taste.  In the case of my dining room, I wanted a nice chandelier for over the table.  My dining room is a repurposed room since this house didn't have a designated dining room.  When the house was built, it was a 600 sq ft one-bedroom house (eek!).  The previous owners built a 600 sq ft addition to create 3 bedrooms and a bathroom so I turned the original bedroom into my dining room.  Naturally, there wasn't a chandelier in the room but being a 1930s home, there was a ceiling fixture in the center of the room and the fixture someone had installed there was a 24" 4-blade, white ceiling fan with gold trim.  Hmmm, sooooo ugly!  

I have been searching for a chandelier that I like in a price point I'm willing to pay for over a year.  Nothing has appealed to me.  Last weekend on a trip to the dump, I stopped into our Re-Use It Center (a place where people can leave stuff they don't want that is still in good condition).  I could see something that looked like white glass shades on the top shelf tucked away into the corner, so I climbed up to see if they were something that I could use and this is what I found:



Holy crap!!!  Somebody didn't want or like this and I absolutely loved it.  According to the sticker, it was manufactured in 2003 so the wiring wasn't going to be an issue.  It was dusty but in perfect condition.  After playing around with it, I found an extra 12" down rod tucked inside that would lower this fixture to a better height for hanging over my dining room table.


I am so happy :).  All it took was a little patience and exactly what I wanted fell right in my lap and for free to boot.  Life is sweet!

22 comments:

  1. That is fabulous and so perfect for your space. You really got lucky that day! It's nice to find another Canadian blogger! I live in Winnipeg, I lived in BC for 40 some years before my husband and I moved over here and I LOVE it.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! What a wonderful find. It looks brand new. Good for you! I have joined your followers list and invite you to join my followers list; as well,I hope you will grab a blog button. Hugs, Gayle
    http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great find! It looks fabulous in your dining room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lucky find! It looks fantastic! Following you now!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your patience paid off, Anne! The fixture looks great in your dining room. And you can't get any better than free! ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great Anne!! Perfect home! Thanx for coming to party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an awesome find. Love how it looks hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you made a major find!! Good for you! Looks great & the cost was right!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. From the DUMP?? SERIOUSLY!? Lucky lucky you!! Woot!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great find!! Nothing beats a treasure hunt!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, what a great find! Looks perfect for your space. thanks so much for linking up to the VIF party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for linking up to Latest and Greatest Friday! This chandy looks like it was made for that room! That certainly is a score!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What's better than free and beautiful?! What a fantastic find.

    Thanks for coming to the par-tay Anne! Greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't believe you got it free! Plus had the extension inside! awesome.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a beautiful light! I can't believe it was free....nice score! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great find! Looks terrific! Thanks so much for linking your project to Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, so nice! I love the elegant lines. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is beautiful! Great find! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. it is a great find but the fact that there is a center with free stuff boggles my mind what a great idea lucky you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...