Repurposed Dumpster Finds


I had a very successful summer garage sale'ing this year, but some of my best finds were actually found at the dump!!  I finally had some time to work with some of the treasures I brought home and here is the result of some of my ideas:

Wooden horseshoe box, scrounged from the dump:

I wanted to use it as a tray, so I primed it with Zinsser Cover Stain Oil Primer, thinking I would paint the tray white and put an image on the base of it.  Instead, I mixed half and half BM Night Horizon and water (sort of a brown-wash instead of a white-wash) and painted it all over the box.  I let it dry and then wiped more of it on with a paper towel dipped in the brown-wash.  I did that twice.  I had a handle left over from another project and I attached it to the front.  The screws I had were much too long for the thin wood, so I used some brass screws and decided I liked the look of the brass against the bronze handle.



Here's another wood box I found as a free giveaway at a garage sale.  I painted the outside of it BM Night Horizon without sanding or even cleaning it first. On the inside, I wiped the brown-wash treatment all over and let it dry.




 Now it's in my laundry room :)

Here's my birdfeeder dumpster find.  I spray painted the roof black as soon as I got it home (just a light coat of spray paint, I wanted it to look worn).  I wanted it in my garden but didn't have a place to hang it, so I took an old rusty tomato cage and set it in a garden bed.  The feeder roof is just slightly larger than the tomato cage top, so it sits in there nicely.


My dumpster find coffee table:

It was all knotty pine when I found it, I just forgot to take a before picture!  I primed, painted it, wiped it all over with Minwax Dark Oak stain - twice and then wiped the surface with a paper towel. I wiped it down a third time with the stain and when that dried, I painted the table top with Behr's Almond Cream paint.  Then I rubbed parts of the table top and all the edges with a paper towel to wipe away some of the paint and let the stained paint show through.

 

In it's place of honour :)
I can't believe the stuff people throw away!!

No before shots of these either, but I wanted some more attractive shelving for the shed that I'm fixing up to be a studio.  I had some old fruit crates and I found a really beat up solid wood dresser at the dump and took two of the drawers that were in good shape.  Then I stacked them all against a wall and used screws to secure them together and to a stud in the wall.  It's not all prettied up, but what do you think??



This was a really busy summer!!

Here's Eloise lounging while I work my butt off!!  Which one of us is smarter do you think?
Cheers!

Linking to:
Homemaker on a Dime
Coastal Charm
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Cherished Bliss
Clean & Scentsible
DIY by Design
Saavy Southern Style
A Beach Cottage
From My Front Porch to Yours
Crafty, Scrappy, Happy
Common Ground
At the Picket Fence
The Charm of Home
A Little Knick Knack
French Country Cottage
2805
My Repurposed Life
My Romantic Home
The Shabby Nest
LaurieAnna's Vintage Home
Perfectly Imperfect
Funky Junk Interiors


31 comments:

  1. I love all of your boxes!! Especially what you did with that first one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Renee, that first box is splendid!

    You are the queen of free today! Wear your crown regally :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing make over, I lake it your box, great and very creative work!

    Greetings, Zondra Art:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did super great with all your finds.-
    Very creative

    hugs,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have an eye for the finds... great ideas. Keep up the naps there Eloise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT BOX IDEAS!!! I HAVE ELOISE'S SISTER.. HER NAME IS TERRIBLE TIGER. I THINK THEY HAVE THE BEST IDEAS...THE NAPPING SCHEDULE IS 21 HOURS A DAY...WHAT A LIFE!!
    BILLIE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Score!! You have done a magnificent job with your finds :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a knack for finding fabulous free stuff! I especially liked the first box you showed... and you have staged it very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your boxes! What a great bunch of fabulous finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is wonderful! You did a great job! When I read something was found in the dumpster
    I just love seeing what someone did with it..
    Thank you for visiting Flora Doora blog and following, I am glad I found your blog also!

    Jane
    Flora Doora

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are so creative! I love your dumpster and free finds! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Freebies are the best. Especially when you are as creative with them as you.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like very much your coffee table and your washbasin!
    Darling thank you for your visits and your kind comments! I'm happy you like my little home!
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Anne you certainly do work hard! I have a wooden tray I bought specifically to paint it about 2 years ago and it is laughing it's head of in a bottom drawer. I think it's time to tackle it. Thanks for such lovely inspiration! And I looove your tray!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the re purposed dresser drawers!!! you did a great just finishing all your find!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I need to go dumpster diving with you! Love all your wonderful makeovers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing transformations! Your creativity is amazing. And I like Eloise's stance on things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cats know how to relax and I constantly have cat hair in my laptop because of it. The box is a fab find. My hubs picks up stuff by the side of the road all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great saves! love how you transformed them. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF, xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous finds & great transformations! Eloise rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great finds and great ideas! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing finds and transformations! Thanks so much for sharing them with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have really been on a roll lately with your amazings fins and transformations! You are an inspiration!

    Thank you so much to linking to Potpourri Friday. Your participation is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anne ~ Very creative work, and your right it always amazes me what people throw out. Oh well as long as we get to it first. :)
    Hugs Rosemary...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh you are magic with the dumpster finds! Great job! Thank you for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eloise is a charmer. Great job on all your finds! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  27. Loving all your treasures! The tray turned out fantastic and of course loving Eloise! She is adorable! Thanx for coming to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  28. everything looks great! You got some great stuff. Love the coffee table with the wooden tray (horseshoe thing?)
    It is amazing what people throw out. You've been so busy, you need to slow down and take those before pics!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great repurposed boxes- love how you have used them- thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...