Fleur de Lis Tray

I got this huge tray at a garage sale:

After many suggestions from blogger friends, I decided to make a sign out of it.  I searched through tonnes of images and found one I really liked:

but how to get the image onto my tray???

The simplest method for me was to hand-paint it.  I can copy almost anything, so I took the tray out to my workshop and started out by drawing what I wanted onto it in chalk:


Then I painted over the letters with white paint. After it was dry, I sanded the edges and the surface with a sanding sponge.  I also decided it needed some embellishment so I added  "Le".



The letters aren't as sharp as I'd like them, but it's kind of olde worlde charming as well, I think...  Oh well, I may paint the whole thing white and then transfer the image instead if I get tired of the way this looks.  Isn't doing your own thing fun???  You can change anything up at anytime.  Lovin' it!

For now I'm going to hang it in my living room.  Happy!



Cheers!

Linked to:  My Repurposed Life
                 My Romantic Home
                 The Shabby Nest
                 Funky Junk Interiors
                 Mod Vintage Life
        

6 comments:

  1. love a large tray and that one is great! I'm loving that pillow on the chair- looks to be velvet?

    happy sunday!
    joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The TV wall is looking good. Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to comment. I'm a new follower...have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your tray and it makes a great sign. (I love turning everything into signs). Thanks so much for stopping by the Design Challenge and sharing your ideas on my side porch. I really appreciate that you took the time to do that. I hadn't thought of a mantle and we LOVE the idea. We are hoping we can pull it off. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your "new" tray! And, super envious of the fact that you did it by hand! *Becca* (new follower)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tray turned out just great and looks lovely on the wall. Congrats to you, Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your tray looks great. Yep, when you DIY, you can change what you want, when you want.
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...