At Sunset

I know when I've got it right because I fall in love with what I just created...


I'm so happy with this painting now.  I can picture myself in a boat, watching the sun sink into the end of the earth.  It's a far cry from the way I left this work of art.  At that time I had been trying to paint my own version of a painting I fell in love with - click here to see that post.  When I came back to it, I decided to stop trying to imitate the inspiration piece I had found and create my own vision, feeling my way through rather than seeing it.

Loved the sky but the water was wrong.


I loved this version, too, but the colours in the water didn't seem quite right and I wound up
painting over it to come up with the blue water version above.
So I hung it on a wall and lived with it for a month or so.

As with all my inspirations, they take over me all of a sudden.  I was home for lunch and felt compelled to get out my paints and have at it.  I didn't let myself think, I just let the paint flow from my brush...  With the sky painted over with pale yellow and blue and more pale yellow added to the waves and the hills, the painting grew a life of its own.

I'm much happier now.


Isn't it amazing how dark and moody this painting became when I painted the sky a darker colour.  I even added highlights to the hills and more highlights to the water, but it looks completely different.

So cool.

Have a great day!

Linked to:  French Country Cottage
                 Romantic Home
                 Shabby Nest

7 comments:

  1. Great painting, like how you did it. Thanks for stopping at my blog and I am following now.
    Craig Ohio Outdoors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Anne! The light on the hills, the movement of the water... lovely!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Nice photos also. The way the painting changes is very neat to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an amazing painting. I believe that the making of a work of art is always in the process. I love the way you explained your process for this painting. I have a painting that I've also been looking at for a long time because something about it just isn't working for me. You've inspired me today to keep trying...hugs Maryjane from Storybook Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  5. its beautiful, very moody. Hugs Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is so very pretty!! Love all the versions. Thanks for your sweet comments!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that you went with your own vision, so much more personal and meaningful. I find the painting just draws me into the scene... On a lighter note, I enjoyed your sewing box makeover and Winners finds! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...