Summertime, patios and weeds...

I have an area in my yard that I dearly want to make into an attractive grass-free patio.  I want to use natural materials and grow lots of thyme that will spill over all the gravel and sand that covers the area.  Unfortunately, the weeds are overrunning this area and with our new anti-herbicide/pesticide bylaw, I can't spray to get rid of them  (any of you gardeners out there have any tips on what will kill weeds that doesn't hurt the environment???).

It's been a very slow process, especially since the weather has turned very hot and humid and I now move like a snail when I go outside.  Other than that, I'm happy with the way the space is coming together.  I've set up a place to sit with a pretty wood bistro set I got from Winners a few years ago.  It's been painted a couple of times because the original paint finish didn't stand up to the weather, but I love it.  And I've dotted some rusty old pieces around it to doll up the area.

The flagstone patio I'm slowly installing (as I find flat stones).  It's working out brilliantly and it's FREE!! 

My little bistro set

No clue what this is, my boyfriend found it at the dump and scooped it for me :)

My garage sale find lantern

I love growing hens & chicks in little pots

See my weedy gravel???  (not the stuff close to the patio set, that's my newly
planted thyme!!
Also need to find something more attractive to edge my latest garden.



At least the plants are growing well.  Must be the influence of the weeds!!  Here's a view of my freshly painted shed/studio doors & the pallet fence:

More weeds... 


No doubt it will take me the rest of the summer to finish this project, but I'm liking the way it's beginning to look.  Besides, the true joy in life is in the journey - right?

Fresh paint job for the potting bench & the old storm window I found

Another shot of the patio stones

And the free door I scooped at the dump :)  Yay for me!!


More of my favourite plants:

Cranesbill Geranium "Max Frei"  - My all time favourite cranesbill.

Sedum Black Beauty

Rosa Radrazz blooms all summer
aka the Knockout Rose

Sedum Acre

Happy gardening!!

17 comments:

  1. Your flowers are lovely Anne :-)
    My Fella and I are embarking on our own backyard project - a large one! One of the things we'd like to incorporate is a fire urn not too dissimilar from the one your boyfriend scooped for you... at least I believe that's what it is :-)
    Have a good day!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful plants! The best way to get rid of weeds without pesticide is to dig them out. :( It certainly isn't the fastest or easiest way though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your garden a lot. Your sedums are just gorgeous, and I particularly like the white building with the bright blue doors--that makes me happy to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little sitting area's adorable! My theory is we can't have too many sitting areas in our gardens. Wow...can't use weed killer huh. Yep, hand pulling/digging. Probably wouldn't hurt any of us to do more of that instead of reaching for the weed killer first.
    Jeanni

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once had an elderly neighbor who always poured vinegar on the weeds in her small backyard. I don't know whether it really worked or not, but her yard was pretty much weed free!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are off to a great start! Weeds are tough - that's why they are weeds - you could cover with black plastic or large sheet of cardboard to kill them off - unsightly but it works!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the bistro set. I use vinegar to kill some weeds. Be careful with it though. I wonder if your unknown bowl used to be a firepit?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous garden!
    Love your plants..those greens and hues of colours! Thanks for sharing:)
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helping a friend right now create a sitting area in her garden, love what you are doing and these things do not have to happen over night. I think enjoying the process of creating something is if not more important then getting to enjoy the end results. I have sitting areas through out my gardens and I use them all! Happy Gardening ~ Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks so lovely and your bistro set is darling! Thanks so much for sharing it with us this week at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're off to a great start on a cozy garden! The bistro set looks like it's calling for some ice tea and conversation :) Thanks for following - following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing over here at Cottage Flora Thursdays this week! Love your sedum! They add such a pretty texture to your garden! xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a nice area you're working in! In addition to vinegar, every time I have a pot of boiling water left over (from tea or canning..) I pour it on weeds and they are dead. :-) Even cheaper than vinegar...

    Thanks for sharing!
    Jami @ An Oregon Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your patio! Your flowers are lovely too - thanks for sharing, Paula in Idaho from Buckets of Gardening Ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some incredible finds! The patio is going to be awesome. You have a good start on it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your garden is going to be such a nice place in which to spend time. I'm still battling some weeds, the hardy little guys!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...