Ikea Bekvam Kitchen Cart Makeover

I bought two of these little carts last summer when I began my kitchen renovation.  They were a godsend!  Put together, they gave me a decent enough amount of counter space to get through the renovation & they were inexpensive & solid wood.  ps I had another little table that I put the microwave on during the reno but the photo below is the only photo I have to show you...
Sorry for the grainy photo - this was taken
long before I ever even thought of blogging!



Now that my kitchen reno is over, I'm using one as extra counter space and one as a microwave stand.





But I have too much wood in my kitchen and too many different colours of wood to boot, so I decided to paint the microwave stand.  To save time (and because I love the instant gratification of spray paint), I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch spray paint in Canyon Black.  I popped the butcher block top off, sprayed a light coat on the legs without priming it.  Then I sanded the edges with a sanding sponge.  They came up a little too white, so I used a Minwax dark oak stain and rubbed it into the white wood.

I love the way it turned out - it looks all dressed up now!




Before



After
I finished the butcher block top with Danish Oil to deepen the colour and shine it up a bit.  I love all the touches of black in my kitchen and I'm very happy with my little carts.  :)

Now I keep eyeing my sideboard/buffet and thinking I should paint the bottom part...  but what colour to choose????   hmmmmm I think I'm my own worst enemy!!!

Have a happy day!

Linking to Brambleberry Cottage
                Thrify Decor Chick
                My Romantic Home
                My Repurposed Life
                The Shabby Nest

5 comments:

  1. That last photo clenched it! Looks fabulous; great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! The stand ties in very nicely with your other black pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to give those a "custom" look and take them up a notch! Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spray paint - you have to love it! It really does provide instant gratification, doesn't it? By the way, I really like the contrast of the black with all the other natural wood tones.

    Thanks for linking to the party. I hope you'll join us again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with the little tables, made a big difference.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...