Kitchen Project - Rustic Shelf

I worked all morning on this project - measuring and cutting a rough sawn piece of solid maple, then sanding it and painting it Canyon Black with Rustoleum Painter's Touch satin spraypaint.  I didn't use a primer and I painted it lightly so as to still see the woodgrain through the paint. When the paint was dry to the touch, I used a sanding block to rub the paint off the corners and edges.  I also painted some corbels I had in the shed, leftovers from a project where I decided to go another direction.  The corbels had been stained a cedar colour so I coated them really well with paint and then sanded the corners and edges.  I was so excited to finally see the finished product:





 I hung the shelf high so I could keep my lamp on the sideboard.  And on my next trip to Ikea, I want to pick up a Fintorp rail, hooks, and wire baskets to hang underneath the shelf.

I'm not crazy about the style of the corbels, but I prefer to use up what I have on hand. I'm sure that when the rail, hooks and baskets are installed, the look will come together.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.




I want to paint the legs & shelves on my microwave stand but not sure what colour to go with.  Do I paint it black to match the chair & shelf, stain it to match the kitchen cabinets or should I go with a creamy white because it will go in my laundry room when I install the counter on this wall???  Or now that I like the way this wall looks, do I scrap my idea to add open base cabinets and a countertop and keep the kitchen as it is now???  So many choices!!
Have a happy day!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

P O S T   U P D A T E - J U L Y  1 2 ,  2 0 1 1:  

I bit the bullet and got down to painting the microwave stand.  I went with the Canyon Black spray paint that I already had on hand and after painting the base of it with just a light coat of paint, I sanded the edges in the same way that I did the shelf.  To lessen the brightness of the unfinished wood that was showing through when I sanded, I rubbed some dark oak stain over the sanded areas and let it sink in.  The finish is mottled and worn and I'm so happy with it!!  Check it out:




It only took me an hour to pop the butcher block top off, spray the legs, and give a Danish Oil treatment to the butcher block.  Two hours later, it was back together and loaded back up.  I love spray paint!!

Have a great day.

Linked to: 

13 comments:

  1. Your shelf looks really nice. A great addition to your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for linking up to my Kitchen Favourites Party! I'd say you've done a GREAT job with the shelf! And I really like the corbels that you had 'lying around'!! The whole thing looks like a lovely dresser now!

    I'm signed up to follow your lovely blog!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the shelf and the whole feel of that wall in your kitchen. So cozy and personal.

    I see you're a fellow BC'er!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice looking shelf vignette! Thanks for your sweet comment & I'm happy to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say paint it black for now... then white later! the black will tie in with your little chair in the corner. You have a darling kitchen and I really like that you hung your shelf high.... That left you with a lot of options on your side board.

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so great. I'm glad you left the shelf high so you could keep the lamps. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your sweet comments! I love the feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your shelf looks amazing! I love it and I'm sure you are enjoying the new space in which to put kitchen 'stuff'. The green and blue glass is great there, too!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The shelf looks great!!! I have some oak shelves I think I'm going to paint black :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shelf and sideboard look great! way to go!
    paint the microwave legs? I have NO idea! sorry.
    Thanks for linking up and linking back to catch as catch can.
    gail
    ps catching you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely shelf you've made. It looks gorgeous with all the greens and the blues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're really pulling things together with your details! The shelf is perfect for the space it's in and I like that you're using the corbels you have on hand. I think they're perfect because they don't take away from your vignette. I'm your newest follower; found you via Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so grateful that you linked up in this week's Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :) This awesome post totally rocked the party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I respond to comments through email. If I can't respond to you by email (no reply blogger), I'll leave a reply under your comment. Hope you have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...